The stone Melanesian Mission building is an early colonial structure that has had a long association with education in the Auckland region.
Built in 1859, it was originally part of St Andrew's College, which was an Anglican institution for the Christian education of Melanesian boys. Melanesia, an island group in the Western Pacific, was initially part of the Anglican Diocese of New Zealand.
Constructed of basalt from nearby Rangitoto Island, the L-shaped building provided a dining hall, kitchen and storehouse for the college. It was part of a larger complex of buildings, including a church and schoolhouse, which were arranged in a quadrangle. The steep-pitched roofs and square-headed windows of the Tudor Revival-styled Melanesian Mission Building recalled the architecture of late medieval and early modern educational institutions, as did the layout of the college. Tudor Revival design was frequently used for mid nineteenth-century schools in Britain, harking back to a major expansion of the educational system in sixteenth-century England, which was in turn linked to the creation of the Anglican Church.
Following the transfer of the Anglican mission to Norfolk Island in 1867, the educational functions of the complex remained. The building initially formed part of a naval training school, then an industrial school, teaching work practices to 'neglected and destitute boys'.
It was subsequently used for Anglican services and Sunday school teaching, before being occupied from 1915 until the early 1920s by the Walsh Brothers' flying school, whose staff trained at least a third of the airborne New Zealand personnel in the First World War.
With the incorporation of Mission Bay as a suburb of Auckland, public awareness of the building's history increased. This led to its restoration as the Melanesian Mission Museum in 1928, when substantial repairs and alterations were made. After being found unsuitable for the display of artefacts, it was taken over by Heritage New Zealand in 1974, which has since leased it out as a restaurant.
So many educational uses... including as a flying school for World War I pilots.
- 44 Tamaki Drive
- Mission Bay
- Leased out as a restaurant.
No charge to visit the grounds and exterior. The property is leased out as a restaurant.
Please understand that surcahrges may apply at times of special events.