Originally built around 1864 by labourer Bentley Coton for himself and his wife Sarah Jane, Cotons’ Cottage is a cob house museum in a rural setting that tells a story of a 19th century small-holding in Canterbury. The Hororata Historical Society opens the Cottage and the nearby Museum on-site on fine Sunday afternoons (currently closed for maintenance).
Bentley Coton and his wife bought 50 acres of land at Hororata on the Canterbury Plains. Coton built a small cob cottage that originally consisted of five rooms including an attic bedroom.
The property was subsequently purchased by the Oliver family in 1927 and it remained in the family until the 1970s. The cottage was uninhabited throughout this time, and gradually fell into disrepair.
In 1971, the owners offered the cottage and a quarter acre of surrounding land to the government as a reserve. Cotons' Cottage became a historic reserve three years later, and the day-to-day management of the reserve was transferred to the Hororata Historical Society.
The Society largely rebuilt the cottage in 1977, re-using many of the original materials. Subsequently, the Society moved a second building onto the property as the local museum.
The Cottage, furnished from the Hororata Historical Society's collection, is an example of a typical 19th century dwelling on a small Canterbury holding.
This wonderful historic place suffered extensive damage during the earthquake on 4 September 2010. Cotons' Cottage was rebuilt and reopened to the public in March 2014.
Temporary closure for repairs
Some repairs and maintenance are underway at Coton's Cottage. The cottage is closed to visitors, and is expected to reopen to visitors on Sunday 9 September 2019.
We apologise for any inconvenience.
- Cotons Road, off Bealey Road
- Currently closed for repair work.
- Reopens Sunday 9 September (on-site Museum), thereafter every Sunday until May.
- 1.30 - 4.00pm