Searching for Symbols
Symbolism, art and architecture - discover how symbolism represents culture and identity, and explore how our heritage is remembered through art and architecture.
Symbolism, Art and Architecture
Discover how symbolism represents culture and identity, and explore how our heritage is remembered through art and architecture.
Links to NZ Curriculum Learning Areas
The Arts - Visual arts
Social Sciences - Social studies, History.
Small teams of students search for specific features both inside and outside the building using close-up photographs. Once found students will locate a fact sheet hidden nearby, containing information, questions for the team to answer, and space to record their own questions about the feature, before moving on to continue the search.
Contribution to Programme Objectives
- To introduce the unique characteristics of the building, its architecture and construction
- To encourage exploration of Old St Paul’s and introduce some of its stories.
- To introduce some of the characteristics of timber Gothic revival architecture, design and religion
- To explore some of the features and items within Old St Paul’s, their significance and use
- To introduce the concept of symbolism in architecture, design and religion, and how this is represented at Old St Paul’s.
Duration: 1 hour
Group size: 3-6 students per team.
Find a suitable date with our Visitor Programme Coordinator