Kate Sheppard Ride
Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga, in collaboration with Wellington Frocks on Bikes and our proud supporters Wellington Museum, Parliamentary Service, Premier House, the National Library of New Zealand, Thistle Inn, Bicycle Junction, Switched on Bikes, Victoria University of Wellington, Ministry for Culture and Heritage, Ministry for Women, Greater Wellington Regional Council and Wellington City Council are excited to commemorate 19 September 1893 – 125 years since women gained the right to vote – with the Kate Sheppard Ride. Dress to impress and get your cycle wheels spinning!
Setting off from Old St Paul's, the Suffrage 125 bicycle ride will take you through the streets of old Thorndon and Wellington’s CBD. The ride will take in significant historic and heritage places such as the Old St Paul’s, Wellington Museum, National Library, Thistle Inn, Premier House and a photo stop at Parliament’s grounds. The ride will conclude at Old Government Buildings with a celebratory '125 Cupcake' from the Cake Society, refreshments from Six Barrel Soda and a prize for the best dressed.
Tickets are strictly limited to 145 participants and must be pre-purchased from Eventfinda for a Kate Sheppard $10 bill. If you don’t have a bike, discounted rental is available from Switched on Bikes (see https://switchedonbikes.co.nz.
Not a biker? Why not join the support crew?
- Wave off the riders from Old St Paul’s at 2.00pm
- Go and see the original 1893 petition at the National Library and use the interactive to search for signatories. While you are in the National Library stop for a coffee and something to eat at HOME Café.
- Explore New Zealand’s Parliament and find out more about women’s suffrage.
- Keep an eye out for the riders around Thorndon and Wellington’s CBD between 2.00pm and 3.30pm.
- Visit Wellington Museum to see Suffrage in Stitches hanging on display.
- Check out the exhibition - Allies on the Inside on the ground floor of Old Government Buildings.
- Watch the best dressed award ceremony at the completion of the ride in the grounds of Old Government Buildings from 4.00pm.
Follow us on Facebook to find out more as further details are confirmed:
Quick! Get your tickets for the Kate Sheppard Ride on Eventfinda
When and where?
- Saturday 22 September (wet weather day is Sunday 23 September)
- 1.30pm (promptly)
- Event commences at Old St Paul's, 34 Mulgrave Street. Please arrive early to check in.
$10 per person. Sorry, no concessions.
Make a Booking
Tickets strictly limited to 145 participants. Available on Eventfinda and must be purchased in advance.
Discounted rental of bikes is available from Switched on Bikes (at own cost).