Heritage New Zealand often seeks comments from the public on a range of heritage and heritage management matters as required by the Heritage New Zealand Act 2014. These comments are taken into account by our decision-makers.
Information and relevant documents will appear on this website, and will normally appear in the Public Notices section of newspapers.
For information about current proposals and reviews for entry on the New Zealand Heritage List, please see the Notified Proposals & Reviews page within the List section of this website.
How do I make a submission?
Normally, all submissions must be made in writing either by e-mail or letter. Submissions often include comments on reasons for or against the proposal, as well as on the information provided in the accompanying reports, plans or other documents.
Contact details for the person to whom a submission may be sent is found under the individual listings. Heritage New Zealand does not have a standard form on which you might make your response.
Draft General Statements of Policy: summary of public submissions
Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga notified five draft general statements of policy on 3 February 2015 and public submissions closed on 17 April 2015. These statements of general policy address:
- the administration of the archaeological provisions under the Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga Act 2014
- the administration of the New Zealand Heritage List/Rārangi Kōrero
- the administration of the National Historic Landmarks List/Ngā Manawhenua o Aotearoa me ōna Kōrero Tūturu
- the management and use of historic places owned, controlled or vested in Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga
- the statutory role of advocacy.
Heritage New Zealand has considered the submissions received and has prepared a summary of submissions for each of the general statements of policy which summarises the submissions, and provides a response to suggestions by submitters. These summaries are listed below as pdfs. The final policies are available from this website within the Resources section.