St John's Church (Anglican)

120 Edward Street, Wakefield

  • St John's Church (Anglican).
    Copyright: www.dayout.co.nz. Taken By: Alan Wylde.
  • St John's Church (Anglican). Interior.
    Copyright: www.dayout.co.nz. Taken By: Alan Wylde.
  • St John's Church (Anglican). Image courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Shelly Morris - flickr. Madam48. Taken By: Shelley Morris. Date: 18/12/2012.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 40 Date Entered 23rd June 1983

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Tasman District

Region

Tasman Region

Legal description

Sec 5 and Pt 179 Waimea South District Blk XVI Wai-iti SD

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

St John's Wakefield formerly known as Waimea South was built in 1846 and is the second oldest surviving church in New Zealand after Christ Church, Russell.

Built to serve the local community of New Zealand Company labourers and aided by money donated by Bishop Selwyn, St John's is a simple, unpretentious wooden structure which features rusticated weatherboards, lancet windows, small wooden buttresses and a bell tower.

The church was built by voluntary labour and supervised by Edward Baigent a saw miller from Surrey who also provided the timber.

St John's is in remarkably original condition the only alteration of any significance being made in 1865 when the nave was extended by 5.5m.

As the oldest surviving parish church in the South Island, St John's is of considerable historical significance. It is most attractively sited on a rise overlooking the surrounding countryside and has a graveyard of historic interest. It is an example of a well preserved, early church design and is of undoubted architectural importance.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1846 -
Second oldest surviving church in the New Zealand after Christ Church, Russell.

Addition
1865 -
Nave extended by 5.5 metres.

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.