Historical Significance or Value
The house derives its name from Bishop Richard Moore Neligan and was planned and built during his espiscopate (1903-10). It is the most recent addition to a significant group of historic buildings in Parnell including Kinder House (1856) and Selwyn Court (former Bishopscourt) (1865). Competitive designs were invited for the enlargement of the latter building in 1905. Plans for a brick addition were drawn up. However in 1908, while in London, Bishop Neligan decided that it would be impossible for him to resume occupation of old Bishopscourt and new accommodation was required. Bamford and Pierce, architects, were commissioned on 1 April 1909 to prepare plans for a new building and it was completed the following year.
Bishop Neligan resigned in July 1910 because of ill health. The house remained the residence of the Bishop throughout the episcopate of Bishop Crossley (1910-14) and much of that of Bishop Averill. Bishop Simkin succeeded Bishop Averill in 1940 but elected to reside at old Bishopscourt.
Neligan House was leased to Howard Mann who ran the building as a boarding house. Later the house became the private hotel 'Strathmore'. It was restored to use as a Bishop's residence during the episcopate of Bishop Gowing (1960). Like Bishop Averill, he was to find Neligan House too large for his needs and so moved to a smaller house in 1975. The building was converted into apartments and leased. Neligan House has had a long if irregular association with Bishops of the Anglican Diocese of Auckland.
This is an especially fine example of the English Domestic Revival Style, the principal exponent of which was Edwin Luytens who Bamford worked for in England. There is little applied decoration but the Arts and Crafts' principle of honest use of materials, principally brick, is adhered to closely. Consistent with these principles the house is irregular in plan and elevation. The large gables and prominent chimneys, although less complex than the grand country houses designed by Luytens, are the principal features of the house and give it its distinctive character.
It contributes to the historic precinct of the Deanery and Selwyn Court and makes a strong impact with its brick facade close to the street.
ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION (STYLE):
The style of Neligan House is English Domestic Revival. The main ridge of the tiled roof runs east-west and the north facing garden facade has a single gable to the east, whereas the southern facade which faces the courtyard has two gables.
The tiled roof does not have overhanging bargeboards and the gables spring from stone corbels. The tall chimneys are a distinctive feature of the overall form of the house. The roof is bellcast. The small chapel is at right angles to the main portion of the house and forms the eastern edge of the court. The gable end of the chapel has banding which consists of red and buff bricks. The very high standard of brickwork is a notable feature of the house.
The main entrance porch is similar to a Lychgate. On the west side of the building is a doorway with a brick arch and tile springing line. The garden front has verandahs at both floors. The main tiled roof continues over the upper verandah. At first floor level there are two cantilevered curved balconies. The windows on this elevation are casements with a distinctive pattern of small and large panes. The interior has a panelled hall and the stair is constructed of timber pegged together with projecting dowels.
Chapel seats donated by Bishop and Mrs Averill
Stone cross on street end of chapel
Brick boundary wall
Porch addition, probably "outer porch" shown on the original plans, south side.
Prior to July 1919 - Attached outbuilding with "shed roof" constructed in brick on east side of house, adjoining the strongroom.
Prior to July 1919 - Enclosure of portion of balcony (first floor) outside bedroom on the north-western corner of the house.
Brick study addition. Extension of ground floor verandah in easterly direction along front of new study.
Prior to 1935 Brick wall along front boundary. Brick garage erected to east of chapel.
Gallery and dressing room (first floor) converted to three bedrooms. Study and sewing room (ground floor) and schoolroom (second floor) became bedrooms
Verandah outside sewing room (ground floor) enclosed. Extended verandah outside, 1926 study addition enclosed.
Verandah on eastern side (first floor) adjoining dressing room enclosed and combined with that room to become bedroom.
Fuel bunker outside scullery removed
Carport erected behind brick garage
Internal restoration work, removal of sink bench and basin.
Main entrance foyer reduced to a hallway, remaining space converted to second bedroom for flat 1.
Rear stairs adjoining service area (west side) redirected.
Internal partitioning, relocation of doorways and fire rating work on all floors.
Construction of double carport.
Conversion of detached laundry building (west side) to caretakers accommodation.
Brick walls, marseilles - tiled roof, wooden verandah. The main body of the brickwork is English bond; boundary wall, Flemish bond; elsewhere, stretcher bond.
School of Architecture, Auckland University
- B70 Bamford, F.N.
- P11 Pierce A.P.H.
- P29 Patterson D.B.
Wises Post Office Directories
Wises Post Office Directories
Cyril Knight, The Selwyn Churches of Auckland, Auckland, 1972.
New Zealand Historic Places Trust (NZHPT)
New Zealand Historic Places Trust
E A Evans 'Old Bishopscourt and the Cathedral Library Auckland', Report for NZHPT, 1975
June 1910 'Architect' p278-281
April 1918 'Students Architectural Associates' p175
John Fleming, Hugh Honour and N. Pevsner, Dictionary of Architecture, London, 1980
The Penguin Dictionary of Architecture, Third Edition, Harmondsworth 1980
A W Averill, Fifty years in New Zealand 1894-1944: Recollections and Reflections of Archbishop Averill, Christchurch 1945
Gradidge, R 1981
R Gradidge, Edwin Lutyens, Architect Laureate, London 1981
H R Hitchcock, The Pelican History of Art: Architecture: 19th & 20th Century, Harmondsworth 1971
R F Jordan Victorian Architecture, Harmondsworth 1966
Weekly Graphic and NZ Mail
Weekly Graphic & New Zealand Mail
16 Narch 1910
Auckland City Council
Auckland City Council
B5/140/3 (Town Planning Department), no date
Plumbing and Drainage Plans 1926 & 1982 (Inspectors Department)
Building Permit file 41/462 dated 9.5.75 (Inspectors Department)
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.