House (Hanna)

11 Arney Road, Remuera, Auckland

  • House (Hanna) Courtesy of ‘Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries’ 435-C5-49.
    Copyright: Auckland Libraries.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 107 Date Entered 14th February 1991

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)

Region

Auckland Council

Legal description

Lot 3 DP 49896, Allot 13 sect 16 subs of AK CT 759/52

Summaryopen/close

DESCRIPTION:

The Hanna home was built in 1915 for the Nicols, owners of an Auckland shipbuilding firm, who have continued to occupy the house. Henry Nicol and his wife Sarah arrived in Auckland in 1842 on the "Jane Gifford", and established a firm of shipbuilders and chandlers. In 1903 George Turnbull Nicol moved from Devonport to Arney Road in Remuera where he had purchased a 4 acre block. On it he built the house at 9 Arney Road. In 1915 Gerald Jones was commissioned to build the house at 11 Arney Road for Nicol's daughter Mrs Hanna. The house was constructed by chandlers from Nicols boatyard. Soon after its completion the house was found not to suit the Hannas' style of living, and several modifications were carried out, particularly the remodelling of the sitting room and the addition of French doors.

Assessment criteriaopen/close

Historical Significance or Value

Hanna House at 11 Arney Road is notable for its association with the Nicol or Hanna families throughout its life. Somewhat unusually the house was constructed by chandlers from Nicol's boatyard.

ARCHITECTURAL QUALITY:

Hanna House at 11 Arney Road is a fine example of the Arts and Craft style of domestic architecture. The house demonstrates Jones' emphasis on surface detail and texture. The graceful curving lines of the roof, and the wide eaves, give this house an individual quality. The detail of the interior finishing demonstrates a high degree of craftsmanship in such quality details as the hand-adzed mantel board, the crafted door latches, the mortice and tenon stair balustrades, and panelled interior doors which slide into the walls. The floor plan is characteristic of Jones' domestic designs.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Jones, Gerald Edgar

Born in Wellington in 1880, Gerald Edgar Jones was the son of Edgar C. Jones, an engineer. Gerald Jones was educated in Sydney before being apprenticed to the Auckland architect Edward Bartley. He established his own practice in Auckland in 1906. After service in World War I, he returned to practice in Auckland in partnership with A.J. Palmer. This partnership was dissolved in the early 1930s and Jones joined the staff of the Ministry of Works where he remained until his retirement.

Like S. Hurst Seager, Chapman-Taylor, Basil Hooper and others, Jones embodied Arts and Crafts principles in his work. Like many of the Arts and Crafts architects, Jones' interests extended beyond architecture to other forms of art, notably art photography. He was recognised as a pioneer in this field, being elected fellow of the Royal Photographic Society in 1912.

Hanna House (1915) and the Williams Memorial Church, Paihia (1925, in conjunction with A.J. Palmer), most notably reflect Jones' architectural beliefs and aspirations. Other buildings by Jones include the Diocesan High School Chapel (1922), the McColl house, Manukau Road, Epsom (1908), the Accurate Scales Company Building, Parnell Road (1920), and the 1937 extension to the Chief Post Office, Access Street, Auckland.

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION:

The Arney Road elevation of this Arts and Crafts house is largely symmetrical around a two-storey long window and gable roof. The house has a distinctive bell-cast roof with wide eaves. This roof form, with its curved gables, three large brick chimney stacks and the dormer windows is the most dominant feature of the external appearance of the house. The roof levels are reflected internally in the lines and planes of the plastered ceilings. The curving eaves are supported by metal brackets. There is no bargeboard.

At the rear of the house, a picturesque bay window at first floor level opens onto the landing of the stairway inside. Windows are mullioned and transomed. The splaying out of the upper floor wall from the ground floor windows is an Arts and Crafts feature, consistent with the rooflines. Where exposed, adze-finished ceiling beams were originally unpainted but dark stained, as was the mantelpiece woodwork. Pride of workmanship is exhibited in the tenon locking pins.

Internally, the joinery, wood panelling and glazing is plain and unadorned, and ceilings are plastered without mouldings at the wall-ceiling junctions. Hand-crafted wooden door latches are used on all interior doors. The joints of all the stairway banisters are mortice and tenoned with exposed dowels.

MODIFICATIONS:

c.1920:-

- French doors replace north windows in dining room;

- Main bedroom converted to living room;

- South east verandah enclosed and extended to become main bedroom;

- Doorway to maid's room relocated;

- Upstairs bedroom converted to kitchen.

Notable Features

Attention to interior detail.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1915 -

Modification
1920 -
French doors replace north windows in dining room, Main bedroom converted to living room, South east verandah enclosed and extended to become main bedroom

Modification
1920 -
Doorway to maid's room relocated, Upstairs bedroom converted to kitchen.

Construction Details

Brick basement wall; timber frame, oregon lathes and rough cast; roofs and window bays clad in slate.

Information Sources

Auckland Star

Auckland Star

31/1/63, p3, 'The Aucklanders Diary', Mac Vincent

Furkert, 1953

Frederick William Furkert, Early New Zealand Engineers, Wellington, 1953

'Jones, Edgar Chichester', p200

New Zealand Building Progress

New Zealand Building Progress

October 1911 pp 827-29, 'Some Charming Photographic Studies'

-June 1912 pp 1133-36, 'How Houses May Be Improved, A Plea for AA in House Design', Jones, G.E.

- March 1916 p 914 'Auckland Architectural Students Assoc'

- June 1916 p 643 'Recent Domestic Architecture'

New Zealand Herald

New Zealand Herald, 12 July 1932, p. 6; 28 September 1933, p. 6.

24/1/63 'Jones, Gerald Edgar',

14/11/32 'Ship Yards Close'

North Shore Times Advertiser

North Shore Times Advertiser

18/3/75, p26 Skeletons

on the Beaches', P. Tichener

New Zealand Institute of Architects Journal

New Zealand Institute of Architects Journal (NZIA)

V.30 March 1963, p31 'Obituary', Jones, G.E.

Scholefield, 1908

Guy Schofield and E Schwabe (eds), Who's who in New Zealand and the Western Pacific, Gordon & Gotch Proprietary Ltd, Wellington 1908

'Jones, Gerald Edgar', Who's in New Zealand and the Western Pacific, 1925, Scholefield, G.H., Masterton, 1924

Davey, 1980

P Davey. Arts and Craft Architecture, the Search for Earthly Paradise, London, 1980

Hawkins, 1960

C Hawkins. Out of Auckland, Auckland, 1960

Simpson, 1979

D Simpson. C.F.A. Voysey an Architect of Individuality, London, 1979

Other Information

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.