St John Ambulance National Offices
47-49 Pitt Street, Auckland
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
2nd April 1985
Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)
Lots 3-5,8-10 DP 2587 & Pt Lot11 of Sec 145 City of Auckland
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
St John Ambulance National Office, Auckland
Built in stages from 1912 the building was used for much of its life as the Central Fire Station. Constructed of contrasting red and cream brick, the detailing is particularly fine.
This large structure has an attractive tower with a copper dome. A large arched entrance opens to a courtyard which was partly bounded by housing and the fire engines' horses.
This impressive building adorned by ornate rain water heads is sited prominently on Beresford Street. A fine legacy from the end of the era of horse drawn transport, the building is still functional in its role for the St John Ambulance.
At the time of registration in 1985, this building was used as the St John Ambulance National Head Office. It served in this role between 1945 and 1995.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.