Taranaki Cathedral Church of St Mary (Anglican)
37 Vivian Street, Robe Street And Brougham Street, New Plymouth
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Able to Visit
28th June 1984
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Lot 1 DP 10494 and the balance of land bounded by Vivian, Brougham, Fulford and Robe Streets shown on the plan of part of the Town of New Plymouth lodged in the office of the Chief Surveyor as SO 7745 after excluding therefrom Lot 1 on DP 8706 (CT TNC2/698), Taranaki Land District, and the building known as Taranaki Cathedral Church of St Mary (Anglican) thereon, and the surrounding grounds including graveyard and mature trees, as shown in the extent map tabled at the Rarangi Korero Committee meeting on 29 September 2016.
New Plymouth District
Lot 1 DP 10494 and the balance of land bounded by Vivian, Brougham, Fulford and Robe Streets shown on the plan of part of the Town of New Plymouth lodged in the office of the Chief Surveyor as SO 7745 after excluding therefrom Lot 1 on DP 8706 (CT TNC2/698), Taranaki Land District.
St Mary's Church (Anglican) is located on a parcel of land to the south of the commercial centre of New Plymouth. The site is bounded by Vivian Street to the north, Brougham Street to the east and Robe Street to the west. To the south of the church are the northern slopes of Pukaka or Marsland Hill.The church is located approximately half way along the Vivian Street boundary with the north transept coming to within 2.3 metres of the fence line. The church is surrounded by a churchyard which contains a number of significant trees and historic gravesites.
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
With the original portion built between 1845 and 1846, St Mary's is one of the earliest stone churches in New Zealand. Although it has been very considerably enlarged and modified, the various sections blend into a harmonious whole. The original church was a simple design by Frederick Thatcher, approximately 15m by 9m, with an open Rimu roof. The steeply pitched roof, lanced windows, plain rubble walls and exposed timber beams reflect Selwyn's principals of Gothic Revival architecture.
Between 1859 and 1862 the nave was lengthened and a porch added. Two years later an aisle, designed by George Robinson, the chief builder of the original part of the church, was added. In 1893 further enlargements were made to the chancel, sanctuary, apse and organ chamber by Benjamin Mountfort, a leading ecclesiastical architect. Finally, in 1915 All Saints side chapel was added and the northern transept enlarged.
The adjoining cemetery contains the graves of William Bolland, who opened the church, the Rev Henry Govett the second vicar, Captain H King, a prominent early settler and other notable historic figures.
St Mary's Church is a fine building in an attractive setting of mature trees and spacious grounds making a noteworthy contribution to the city's townscape.
Tole & Massey
An Architectural Partnership which spanned the years 1928 to 1935. George Edmund Tole (1898-1972) and Horace Lovell Massey (1895-1978).
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.