Mauriceville North Church (Methodist)

North Road, Mauriceville West

  • Mauriceville North Church (Methodist).
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: R O'Brien. Date: 1/06/2003.
  • Mauriceville North Church (Methodist).
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: R O'Brien. Date: 1/06/2003.
  • Mauriceville North Church (Methodist).
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: R O'Brien. Date: 1/06/2003.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 204 Date Entered 21st September 1989

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Masterton District

Region

Wellington Region

Legal description

Pt Sec 14 Mauriceville Sett Blk XIII Mangaone SD

Assessment criteriaopen/close

Historical Significance or Value

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

The Mauriceville area was settled in the early 1870s by an exclusively Scandinavian people under Vogel's immigration policy. Most of the immigrants arrived on board the 'England' in March 1872, and settled in the north of the district. In 1879 a church site of 5 acres was acquired and cleared of bush. In 1880 Otto Christoffensen was appointed Methodist Home Minister, and he designed and built the church to hold seventy persons.

Mauriceville North and Eketahuna were constituted a "Home Mission Station" in 1891. Services were held in English from 1892, and in 1894 Mauriceville North was made a circuit and a minister was stationed there to service it. Each year, in July, an anniversary service is held in the church.

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE:

The church is an interesting example of non-conformist Gothic architecture, as it has its main entrance through the side rather than the front which was conventional. Wesleyan Methodists were consistent users of Gothic for church architecture in Britain in Victorian times, and congregational chapels were distinguished by steep tall spires. This church reflects, however, Norwegian architectural lines, in keeping with the congregation's heritage and the minister's knowledge.

TOWNSCAPE/LANDMARK SIGNIFICANCE:

The church's siting on the crest of a hill makes it a minor landmark in the district.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Christoffenson, Pastor Otto

Christoffenson was appointed Methodist Home Missioner to the Mauriceville North Settlement in 1880, remaining there until 1883. During this time he designed the Mauriceville North Church (1881). This was for the use of the formerly Lutheran Norwegians living over North hill and separate from the Danes at Mauriceville West.

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. This report includes the text from the original Building Classification Committee report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION (STYLE):

This is a longitudinal plan Gothic Revival Church, measuring 30ft x 18ft with a height of 22ft. There is a bell tower with a conical spire at the western end, and the entrance to the church is through a side door into this tower. The nave is three bays long with a gallery for the choir and central aisle.

Notable Features

Bell tower with a conical tower, gallery railing and the Scandinavian cross on the top of the spire.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1881 -

Other
1900 -
Repairs by J.F. Baillie & Sons, Eketahuna

Modification
1907 -
Communion-rail shortened

Modification
1956 -
Roof tiles replaced by iron

Modification
1966 - 1982
Church steeple covered by iron by Trustees and helpers.

Construction Details

Timber with iron roof - originally wooden shingles.

Completion Date

18th April 1989

Information Sources

Morley, 1900

Rev. William Morley, The History of Methodism in New Zealand, Wellington, 1900

Greytown Glimpses

Greytown Glimpses

1857-1967: A History of the Methodist Church in the Wairarapa.

Laurenson, 1955

Laurenson, George (1955): The Scandinavian Mission of the Methodist Church of New Zealand 1872-1894.

Other Information

A copy of this report is available from the NZHPT Central Region office

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.