99 Boulcott Street, Wellington
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
26th November 1981
Lot 1 DP 54907 Pt Sec 479 Town of Wellington
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
One of the last examples of a small gentleman's residence built in central Wellington, Plimmer House was built in the early 1870s for Henry Eustace de Bathe Brandon. It was constructed by Scoular and Archibald, builders of the Government Buildings. In contrast to the Renaissance Revival style of the government Buildings, Plimmer House quietly echoes the Gothic Revival style with its steeply pitched roof and tower. Thus the house displays the versatility of Scoular and Archibald as builders.
As a piece of townscape its smallness in scale is offset by the adjacent high-rise buildings which is so much a part of the twentieth century.
Charles Tringham was born at Winforton in Hertfordshire, England, in 1841. Little is known of his education but it is thought that he acquired woodworking skills. Tringham arrived in New Zealand at Auckland in December 1864 and the passenger list records his occupation as a carpenter. Tringham moved to Wellington and established a partnership with a builder named William Lawes. At the end of December 1866 he left the partnership to establish himself as a builder and undertaker. Within a year he was advertising himself as an architect and gaining a considerable number of contracts for houses, churches, hotels and a variety of other commercial premises. Tringham married Margaret Hunter Bennett in April 1868, the daughter of Dr John Bennett, the first New Zealand Registrar-General, and this may have helped his social status in Wellington. Lucrative contracts followed, including the Italianate house ‘Westoe’ (1874) near Marton for Sir William Fox, and the extensions to William Clayton’s former home in Hobson Street (now the nucleus of Queen Margaret College). Tringham was nearing the end of his architectural career in the 1890s and was elected President of the Wellington Association of Architects in 1895. He retired to the Wairarapa to farm and remained there until his death in 1916.
NZHPT Heritage Order (26 January 1983)
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.