All Saints' Church (Anglican)
30 Vanguard Street, Nelson
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
6th September 1984
Lot 1 DP 2673 All DP 1661 DP 1975 CT 54/7
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Built in 1868 All Saints Church is a highly original design by William Beatson.
It replaced a smaller church designed by Thatcher in the Early English Gothic style favoured by Bishop Selwyn. Beatson's design marks a deliberate departure from the accepted Selwyn criteria which he believed held little relevance for the new generation unfamiliar with English churches.
Beatson's church is Byzantine in style and exhibits the primitive simplicity for which he strove. It incorporates Romanesque forms with Romanesque detailing. The church is large and spacious with a high open ceiling, side aisles and clerestory, lighting.
Beatson's son, Charles, added the chancel and choir in 1871. In 1882 the West end was lengthened to conform to William Beatson's original plan. A tower and bell were added in 1890.
The outward appearance of the church was changed in the 1970's by covering the timbered walls with plaster.
All Saints Church demonstrates a pleasing and unusual design for colonial New Zealand. It is undoubtedly of architectural importance as part of the central city townscape and has strong historical links with early Nelson.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.