St Patrick's Church (Catholic)

25 Rue Lavaud, Akaroa

  • St Patrick's Church (Catholic). Image courtesy of www.flickr.com .
    Copyright: PhilBee NZ - Phil Braithwaite. Taken By: PhilBee NZ - Phil Braithwaite. Date: 13/11/2011.
  • St Patrick's Church (Catholic). Stained glass window.
    Copyright: The Roman Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Christchurch. Taken By: Unknown.
  • St Patrick's Church (Catholic). Interior.
    Copyright: The Roman Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Christchurch. Taken By: Unknown.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 266 Date Entered 2nd April 1985

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes part of the land described as Lot 2 DP 41800 (CT 526642), Canterbury Land District and the building known as St Patrick's Church (Catholic) thereon. Refer to the extent map tabled at the Heritage New Zealand Board meeting on 11 December 2014.

City/District Council

Christchurch City

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Lot 2 DP 41800 (CT 526642), Canterbury Land District

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

St Patrick's Catholic Church, Akaroa

Built in 1864 St Patrick's Church is attractively site below L'Aube Hill near sites of two earlier Catholic churches.

The original clay and timber church built on L'Abue Hill in 1840 was the first church in the South Island. It was destroyed by fire in 1842 and the replacement weatherboard church built the following year was blown down in 1849.

Father Chataigner supervised the building of St Patrick's using a design by B W Mountfort, a leading church architect and his partner Maxwell Bury. It was clad in Totara with locally hewn Matai used for framing. In 1883 the interior was lined and painted and three years later a porch was added. In 1893 the sloping sided tower was built and an Italian bell installed.

The interior of the church has a fine wooden altar and a 1930's Munich crafted window depicting The Crucifixion.

St Patrick's Church is beautifully proportioned with stepped bargeboards and an offset spire which contributes to the Gallic feeling. It is a unique building which makes a significant contribution to Akaroa's townscape.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1864 -

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.