Hakataramea Station Woolshed
502-510 Homestead Road, Hakataramea Valley
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
2nd April 1985
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes part of the land described as Lot 3 DP 53773 (CT CB32B/343), Canterbury Land District, and the building known as Hakataramea Station Woolshed thereon.
Lot 3 DP 53773 (CT CB32B/343), Canterbury Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
This splendid woolshed, still in use, was built c. 1868 of limestone and originally had provision for twenty-four shearing stands.
It is a very large T-shaped building with segmental arched windows. The slatted floor in the woolshed is reputed to have been something of an innovation at that time. From the outside the building looks very attractive with its cream limestone and the red painted roof of corrugated iron.
It was built by the Canterbury and Otago Association (later merged with the New Zealand and Australian Land Company) who bought Hakataramea from Douglas, Alderson and Co, the second owners. The station itself began in 1857 by George Duncan Lockhart and the centenary celebrated in 1968 was that of the land company ownership. This solid construction of the building reflects the company's attitude towards heavy investment in buildings and plant.
This woolshed is a large and functional legacy from last century and an impressive sight in its high country location beneath the Kirkliston Range.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.