Basilica of the Sacred Heart (Catholic)

Craigie Avenue, Timaru

  • Basilica of the Sacred Heart. Image courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Allison Bennet. Taken By: Allison Bennet. Date: 2/01/2012.
  • Basilica of the Sacred Heart.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Melanie Lovell-Smith. Date: 2/08/2002.
  • Basilica of the Sacred Heart (Catholic). Interior. Image courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Allison Bennet. Taken By: Allison Bennet. Date: 2/01/2012.
  • Basilica of the Sacred Heart (Catholic). Interior. Image courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Allison Bennet. Taken By: Allison Bennet. Date: 2/01/2012.
  • Basilica of the Sacred Heart (Catholic). Interior. Image courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Allison Bennet. Taken By: Allison Bennet. Date: 2/01/2012.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 325 Date Entered 2nd April 1985

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

The Basilica of the Sacred Name suffered damage in the Canterbury Earthquakes.

City/District Council

Timaru District

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Pt Lot 2 DP 45190

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Timaru

The foundation stone for the church was laid on February 6th 1910, and the church was blessed and opened by the late Archbishop Redwood on October 1st 1911.

With its twin towers and striking cupola of copper the basilica has been for 70 years a very significant feature of the Timaru skyline. Designed by F W Petre the building is among the most noteworthy examples of ecclesiastical architecture in the country. The interior and exterior show both a pleasing blend of Roman and Byzantine architecture with touches of Art Nouveau decoration. Two small domes surmount the towers that flank the fa├žade and a rear dome caps a carillon tower.

Of particular beauty is the semi-circular colonnade of 13 graceful Corinthian columns representing St Paul and the Twelve Apostles. The floor of the sanctuary is decorated with mosaic tiles while the windows are adorned with attractive stained glass.

Historically the basilica has been a monument to the faith and vision of the Catholic community in South Canterbury. As a townscape feature it is a major element of Timaru with a striking landmark quality.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1911 -

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.