165 North Road, Ringway Ridges, Otautau
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 1
Private/No Public Access
2nd April 1985
Sec 2A Ringway Settlement (CT SL7A/641), Southland Land District
This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.
Ringway Stables, Otautau
Dating from the 1890's the stables at Ringway near Otautau have been built in an unusual form of an L with both wings of equal length. There are two harness rooms, a hay room, two stalls paved with wooden blocks and a loose box. Above these a chaff loft extends the full length being reached by a vertical ladder fixed directly to the gable wall. Two dormers have loading doors and projecting cat-heads and there is a third in the gable end.
The Ringway property was bought in 1860 by John Henry Menzies from a Scot named McCallum and sold ten years later to Murray Roberts and Coy. It was during that time stables were built by a manager. In 1901 Ringway was subdivided.
The fine stables with their weatherboards in red oxide and a green corrugated iron roof nestle close against a small knoll to form a most attractive building. They are indeed the southernmost stables in the country of any consequence.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.