Charles Thomas Major Statue
41 Golf Avenue; Mangere Road; Hospital Road, King's College, Otahuhu, Auckland
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
26th November 1981
Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)
Pt Land Claim 269A Fairburns Grant (CT NA268/84), North Auckland Land District
Ford, Charles Reginald
Ford (1880-1972) was born in England and served in the Royal Navy. He was later with Captain Scott's 1901-04 expedition to Antarctica. Ford trained as an architect working in Wanganui and also as an engineer. In 1926 he wrote the first treatise on earthquakes and building construction in the English language.
In 1923 Ford entered into partnership with William Henry Gummer (1884-1966). Gummer and Ford was an architectural partnership of national importance. Gummer was one of the most outstanding architects working in New Zealand in the first half of this century.
The firm was responsible for the design of the State Insurance Building, Wellington (1940), the Dilworth Building (1926), the Guardian Trust Building and the Domain Wintergardens (1921 and 1928), all in Auckland, as well as the Dominion Museum (1936) in Wellington. In addition, Ford designed his own house at Westbourne Road, Auckland.
Gummer and Ford were awarded Gold Medals by the New Zealand Institute of Architects for their designs of Auckland Railway Station and Remuera Library. Ford was President of this Institute from 1921-22.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.