Old All Saints Church (Anglican) & Churchyard (Including Grave Monuments & Markers)

Cook Street And Selwyn Road, Howick, Auckland

  • Old All Saints Church (Anglican) & Churchyard (Including Grave Monuments & Markers), Auckland. CC Licence 3.0. Margaret McClure. 'Auckland places - East Auckland', URL: http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/16217/all-saints-howick .
    Copyright: Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand . Taken By: Jock Phillips.
  • Old All Saints Church (Anglican) & Churchyard (Including Grave Monuments & Markers), Auckland. CC Licence 2.0 Image courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org.
    Copyright: peteshep©. Taken By: peteshep© - Wikimedia Commons. Date: 1/01/1989.
  • Old All Saints Church (Anglican) & Churchyard (Including Grave Monuments & Markers), Auckland. Image courtesy of ‘Sir George Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries, Record ID 4-5333'.
    Copyright: No Known Copyright. Taken By: James D Richardson. Date: 17/09/1919.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 11 Date Entered 7th April 1983

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Auckland Council (Manukau City Council)

Region

Auckland Council

Legal description

Pt Allot 1 Sec 7 small lots near Howick CT 12/0/1211

Summaryopen/close

This historic place was registered under the Historic Places Act 1980. The following text is the original citation considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

Built in 1847, All Saints' originally served the needs of the Fencible community, soldiers who were stationed at Howick and other strategic sites along the Auckland isthmus to protect against Maori attacks.

The church was prefabricated at St John's College, Meadowbank and the sections transported by boat to Howick where the church was constructed on a site chosen by Sir George Grey and Bishop Selwyn.

All Saints' was the first step in Selwyn's plan for a series of prefabricated churches to be built around Auckland. Known to have played a part in the actual building of the church, Selwyn may also have been involved to a small degree with its design. This is generally attributed to Frederick Thatcher with help from Reader Wood.

The church was originally cruciform in plan with a square tower built over the crossing. A second aisle was added in 1862. This, along with external decoration in the form of strongly articulated diagonal braces picked out in black against the usual white vertical boarding distinguishes All Saints' from other Selwyn churches.

The picturesque church is set amidst mature trees and surrounded by the historic cemetery where many of the areas early settlers are buried.

All Saints' is of great historical significance being the first parish church built in Auckland and, today, the only remaining prefabricated Selwyn church.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1847 -

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.