Commercial Building

212 Broadway, Marton

  • Commercial Building. 2008.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: A Dangerfield.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 1249 Date Entered 2nd July 1982

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Lot 1 DP 360252 (CT 245040), Wellington Land District and the building known as Commercial Building and its fittings and fixtures.

City/District Council

Rangitikei District

Region

Horizons (Manawatu-Wanganui) Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 360252 (CT 245040), Wellington Land District

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Zajonskowski Bros.

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

The two storeyed timber-framed and clad building in designed in the Edwardian Commercial Italianate style and has a full-length parapet above a cornice with pairs of modillions. The remainder of the first floor has three equidistant windows with triangular pediments and panelled pilasters at each corner. There is a large shopfront with angled entry on the ground floor. The building has a mono-pitched verandah supported on steel posts and the visible side elevation facing north is clad with fibre cement sheet. A large brick chimney is visible towards the rear.

This Italianate commercial style was a part of the classical revival of the nineteenth century, which was championed by Sir Charles Barry from the 1840's in his design of clubs and smaller office buildings. His preferred style was the sixteenth century Italian Palazzo and he was also influential in using this style for large country houses for the wealthy. Commercial buildings, particularly banks, preferred the use of classical architecture, and the design of C R Cockerell's Sun Fire and Life Assurance building of 1839-42 in Threadneedle Street confirmed the Italianate Palazzo style. The design of larger structures using classical language was easily solved using the Palazzo style and quickly saw warehouses and multi-storey offices and other buildings adopt the Italianate Palazzo style. Architects such as Edward Waiters, J E Gregan, Edward I'Anson, and John Gibson, popularised the style in England while Scottish architects also took up the style with gusto. The High Victorian period saw additional classical styles such as the French renaissance become a significant style, however the popularity of the Italianate Palazzo style for commercial buildings was maintained until the Edwardian period, when the style evolved into the Inter-war Commercial Palazzo style. This was developed by American architects McKim, Mead and White initially for Chicago high rise commercial buildings, and this style became popular throughout the 'New World'.

Notable Features

The most significant elements of the building visible from the street, includes:

street and side elevation comprising timber rusticated weatherboarded

exterior with timber detailing

timber parapet and cornice

timber joinery and shopfront

verandah

chimney

Although not visible the rear elevation and roof are also of significance.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1902 -

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.