Palmerston North Technical School (Former)
135 King Street And Princess Street (State Highway 3), Palmerston North
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
2nd July 1982
Palmerston North City
Horizons (Manawatu-Wanganui) Region
Lot 53-54 DP 223 (RT WN56A/398), Lot 55 DP 223 (RT WN56A/399), Wellington Land District
The red brick Palmerston North Technical School (Former) in the central city has historic and social significance as the face of various important local educational institutions since it was completed in 1909, including previous incarnations of the Universal College of Learning (UCOL). Prominent architect, Frederick de Jersey Clere, combined Classical and Queen Anne architectural features to create a distinctive two storey Edwardian building, which has some landmark qualities and architectural values. The façade was restored in 1997-98 and a new campus building was created behind it so the site’s educational traditions could continue.
Despite efforts to establish technical school classes in Palmerston North in 1902, it was only in 1906 that they began in earnest. Classes were held in various places around Palmerston North until a government grant and a site for the Palmerston North Technical School’s permanent home were acquired in 1908.
The resulting purpose-built building was anticipated as being ‘a striking addition to the architecture of the district’. The School was officially opened on 29 September 1909 by the Minister for Education, George Fowlds, and in 1911 the Evening Post heralded it as ‘Palmerston [North]’s finest building’. Clere designed the building’s King and Princess Street street-front gabled sections with large arched windows and populated those façades with Classical features, such as square column window mullions, pilasters and rusticated brickwork. This provided a sense of tempered importance benefitting its use as an educational building.
Because of the School’s popularity, space was soon an issue and extensions were created in the subsequent decades. Following the devastating Hawke’s Bay 1931 earthquake the School was strengthened and the 1909 roof was reconfigured to remove the gables and their distinctive gable-ends. This resulted from seismic assessments which stated the building was ‘incapable of wholly resisting the forces induced by violent earthquake movement’. Classes were held in temporary accommodations until the works were completed in early 1932.
In 1956 Palmerston North Teachers’ College took over the building because the School, which changed its name to Queen Elizabeth Technical College, removed to another location in 1955. The Teachers’ College continued to operate from the site until its campus in Hokowhitu was ready for use in 1971. Transitioning into the use of yet another tertiary education provider, the building then become the home of the Palmerston North Technical Institute, later known as Manawatu Polytechnic (1983) and then UCOL (2000).
1931 - 1932
East and south gables removed and roof reconfigured.
1997 - 1998
North, east and south façade retained and restored and structure behind demolished. New building constructed behind the façade.
25th March 2019
Report Written By
Ian Dougherty, Bricklayers and Mortarboards: A History of New Zealand Polytechnics and Institutes of Technology, Palmerston North, 1999
Historic Manawatū-Horowhenua, 2013
‘Palmerston North Technical College (now UCOL)’, Historic Manawatū-Horowhenua, 2013, p.27, http://www.historicmanawatuhorowhenua.org.nz/Records/Technical%20College.pdf, accessed 18 Sep 2018.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Central Region Office of Heritage New Zealand.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.