Glendower Station Homestead
1169A Ponatahi Road, Ponatahi, Carterton
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
23rd June 1983
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes part of the land described as Lot 1 DP 345357 (CT 185961), Wellington Land District and the building known as Glendower Station Homestead thereon, and a curtilage acknowledging the gardens, driveway, orchard and swimming pool. Refer to the extent map tabled at the Rārangi Kōrero Committee meeting on 8 March 2018.
Lot 1 DP 345357 (CT 185961), Wellington Land District
Glendower Station Homestead at Ponatahi has historical significance for its association with one of the Wairarapa’s oldest farming families, the Jurys, and was built by its founder, John Milsome Jury. It is of social significance to his many descendants. The house also has architectural and historical significance as an expanded Victorian cottage with additions showing the growth in wealth and status of pastoral landowners as farming became established.
Glendower Station was formed in 1854, when John Milsome Jury (1816-1902) took up 800 acres of land in the Pukengaki range near Carterton. Jury settled in New Zealand when he jumped ship in the Bay of Islands in 1835. He married Te Aitu-o-te-rangi (c.1820-1854), a high-born woman of the Ngāti Moe/ Ngāti Muretu hapū of Rangitāne and Ngāti Kahungunu. Around 1845 Te Aitu claimed ancestral land near Martinborough and the couple farmed on a river island (Te Ureta) that became known as Jury’s Island. In 1854 after Te Aitu died, Jury moved further inland and developed Glendower Station.
Glendower Station Homestead is thought to have been built in the 1860s. It was John Milsome Jury’s third house on the station, each cottage an upgrade from the previous. Originally, it had five bedrooms on two storeys, with the kitchen where the entrance hall is today. It was built of hand-sawn heart totara and clad in weatherboards; original shingles may still exist under the steel roof, which has two prominent gables.
The current form of the homestead reflects improvements from three main periods. The growing family of John and Te Aitu’s second son Charles Joseph Jury (1850-1916) required additions of four downstairs and two upstairs rooms and a second staircase. By 1935 the farm’s income was secure enough to enable major renovations; the third generation Jurys had decided to retain the homestead for its ‘old colonial appearance’ and homey feel. Wellington architect William Lavelle (1905-1974) was commissioned to enlarge the living room, install a new fireplace, remove the second staircase and replace the main one, upgrade the kitchen and bathrooms and expand verandahs into large porches with sun-decks above. The gardens were also established at this time, adding a large outdoor swimming pool (designed by Lavelle), tennis court, extensive native plantings and a circular driveway to the orchard planted in the 1860s. In the early 2000s the house was repiled and modernised including an extension to the southeast of the house, relocation of the kitchen, and the installation of skylights.
Electricity was connected in 1924, which eased the heavy domestic workload of looking after a large family as well as farm staff and numerous visitors. From its beginning, Glendower Homestead ‘became the centre of the district… One could not long be in the district without experiencing [its] hospitality’. After Ponatahi School opened in 1896, the first five schoolteachers boarded at Glendower, and the homestead was famed for its large Christmas parties. The large number of descendants of John and Te Aitu Jury also means the homestead is the family heritage of thousands of people. It was open for public tours during the 1990s.
John Milsome Jury died in 1902. By 1904 Charles’ son John Milsome Jury II (known as Paddy) was running the station. Two further generations of Jurys farmed and lived there before the homestead was sold in 2016. The Jury’s stag and wapiti trophy heads still hang in the entrance hall as they have since at least the 1950s. The surrounding farm and woolshed (List no. 2863) are still owned by the Jury family.
Lavelle, William Edward
Lavelle (1905-1974) was chief draughtsman for King & Dawson and co-founder of Structon Group Architects (1944). Structon Group received an Institute of Architects gold medal for St Joseph's orphanage, Upper Hutt. Lavelle was also an active member of NZIA. After retirement, rather than continuing to practise as an architect, he set up as a consultant helping with litigation cases.
John Milsome Jury
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
Construction of tennis court, swimming pool and driveway including stone wall
Additions and alterations, including relocation of kitchen from west to east end of the building, extension to southeast, installation of skylights along southern edge of roof
Additions of four downstairs and two upstairs rooms and a second staircase.
Second stairway removed; living room enlarged including new fireplace and chimney; main stairway replaced and original kitchen turned into main entrance hall; bathroom converted into office; scullery converted into bathroom; kitchen modernised; verandahs converted into large porches with sun-decks above; wardrobes and doors to sundecks installed in upstairs bedrooms; all doors replaced with new rimu ones; windows enlarged; new windows added; men’s dining room converted into laundry and boot-room
23rd November 2017
Report Written By
The Story of Glendower
Jury, Olive F., The Story of Glendower, privately published, Ponatahi, 1952, Wairarapa Archives ref 00-296/22
John and Te Aitu Jury: The Jurys of the Wairarapa
Parsons, M.J., John and Te Aitu Jury: The Jurys of the Wairarapa, M.J. Parsons, Christchurch, 1986
The stirring life of an early settler
‘The stirring life of an early settler’, Evening Post, 16 August 1902
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Central Regional Office of Heritage New Zealand