St Alban's Church (Anglican)
4 Paekakariki Hill Road, Pauatahanui
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
23rd June 1983
Extent of List Entry
Extent of registration is the land described as Lot 2 DP 311366 (CT 44868), Wellington Land District and the building known as St Alban's Church (Anglican) thereon, and its fittings and fixtures.
Lot 2 DP 311366 (CT 44868), Wellington Land District
St Alban's is the second church to be built in Pauatahanui. It is located on the site of the pa Matai Taua, built in 1846 by the Ngati Toa leader, Te Rangihaeata, nephew of Te Rauparaha. In 1857 W. Blackie built a small interdenominational chapel on land donated by a local settler, Thomas Hollis Stace, for the purpose. By 1890 the chapel, which was also used for a schoolroom, was too small. The parish undertook to raise the money for a new church, and eventually the architectural practice of Clere, Fitzgerald and Richmond was commissioned to draw up the plans. The foundation stone was laid in August 1895, and Bishop Wallis consecrated the church in 1898 on St Alban the Martyrs Day (17 June). The original chapel remained standing until 1908 when it was demolished.
A simple Gothic Revival church, the building has lancet windows, external timber-framed buttresses and, in the interior, scissor trusses with knee braces. The apse is semi-circular in plan. In general the building is timber-framed, with rusticated weatherboards on the exterior and tongue and groove lining in the interior. It has a steeply pitch corrugated iron roof.
St Alban's church has served the Pauatahanui community for over 100 years. It has strong links to the early farming community of Pauatahanui, which raised the money for its construction. St Alban's has architectural significance as a well-resolved timber, Gothic church designed by Clere, Fitzgerald and Richmond, one of the most prominent architectural practices in Wellington. Frederick de Jersey Clere (1856-1952) was a noted architect in Wellington and, from 1883, was Diocesan Architect of the Anglican Church.
Clere, Frederick De Jersey
Clere (1856-1952) was born in Lancashire, the son of an Anglican clergyman, and was articled to Edmund Scott, an ecclesiastical architect of Brighton. He then became chief assistant to R J Withers, a London architect. Clere came to New Zealand in 1877, practising first in Feilding and then in Wanganui. He later came to Wellington and practised there for 58 years.
He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1886 and held office for 50 years as one of four honorary secretaries in the Empire. In 1883 he was appointed Diocesan Architect of the Anglican Church; he designed more than 100 churches while he held this position. Clere was a pioneer in reinforced concrete construction; the outstanding example of his work with this material is the Church of St Mary of the Angels (1922), Wellington.
As well as being pre-eminent in church design, Clere was responsible for many domestic and commercial buildings including Wellington's Harbour Board Offices and Bond Store (1891) and Overton in Marton. Clere was also involved in the design of large woolsheds in Hawkes Bay and Wairarapa.
He was active in the formation of the New Zealand Institute of Architects and served on their council for many years. He was a member of the Wellington City Council until 1895, and from 1900 a member of the Wellington Diocesan Synod and the General Synod. He was also a member of the New Zealand Academy of Fine Arts.
Graveyard with pieces of Victorian monumental masonry.
Bell which originally came from the barque Inconstant.
Foundation stone laid: August 1895
Consecrated: 17 June 1898
Pulpit added: June 1960
1895 - 1898
Foundation stone laid August 1895. Consecrated 17 June 1898
Pulpit added (a gift from St Paul's Church, Waiwhetu, the pulpit originated from St John's, Featherston)
22nd November 2001
Report Written By
Ian Bowman, 'St Alban's, Pauatahanui; A cyclical preventative maintenance plan', November 1998, copy held by NZHPT, Wellington
Bowman, 1998 (3)
Ian Bowman, St Alban's, Pauatahanui; A condition Survey and remedial action plan, November 1998 copy held by NZHPT, Wellington
Charles Fearnley, Early Wellington Churches, Wellington, 1977
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.