Langridge Station Cob Oven

Awatere Valley Road, Awatere Valley, Marlborough

  • Langridge Station Cob Oven.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Natasha Naus. Date: 13/11/2009.
  • Langridge Station Cob Oven with the ruins of the Cob Cottage to the right.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Natasha Naus. Date: 13/11/2009.
  • Langridge Station Cob Oven. The oven outside the cookhouse in the upper part of the small valley behind the Langridge homestead, taken 1964, Brayshaw. Ref.016508. Muller Run, Upper Awatere Valley (Fairfield Downes), Photos and Clippings, Box number 10/D/8, Marlborough Historical Society Marlborough Museum Archives, Blenheim.
    Copyright: Marlborough Museum. Taken By: Unknown.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 1489 Date Entered 25th November 1982


Extent of List Entry

Clarify Extent: Extent includes part of the land described as Pt Sec 9 Langridge Run, Awatere District (CT MB2A/694), Marlborough Land District and the structure known as the Langridge Station Cob Oven thereon. Refer to the extent map tabled at the Heritage New Zealand Board meeting on 23 October 2014.

City/District Council

Marlborough District


Marlborough Region

Legal description

Pt Sec 9 Langridge Run, Awatere District (CT MB2A/694), Marlborough Land District


The Langridge Station Cob Oven is an intact and representative example of an 1880s agricultural structure constructed of cob. It is also part of a wider station complex that tells a story about a working sheep station in the late nineteenth century. Set in the high country landscape of the upper Awatere Valley, the cluster of station structures, including a cob stable, dry stone enclosure and various cob ruins, have significant historic, aesthetic, technological, architectural and archaeological values. They are representative of cob design and construction, a place where shepherds, musterers and shearers worked, ate and slept, and they provide an insight into how those men lived.

The Langridge Run was taken up by Thomas Ward in 1851 and after a short time was bought by W.H. Eyes who sold it to the brothers, Alexander Binning Monro and George Hoome Monro, in 1853.

Built when the Monros owned Langridge, the oven is located in close proximity to the ruins of the cob cookhouse and men’s quarters. The cob dome encloses a freestanding iron Balers oven and is built on a base of large flat stones. The oven has a corrugated iron roof that has been used to preserve the integrity of the cob. Cob construction techniques were brought to New Zealand by settlers from certain regions of England and Ireland. The cob is made up of a wet mix of clay, straw and animal dung that sets hard as it dries.

The Monro brothers got into financial trouble after purchasing more land from the Crown. They paid off the debts and A.B. Monro held Langridge until his death in 1892. In 1899 the Langridge Run was sold to Rudolph Walker and Edward Thompson. At that time the run consisted of 7,138 acres freehold, 24,400 acres leasehold and carried 7,490 sheep. The land was transferred to Margaret Agnes Shirtliff, wife of John William Shirtliff, sheep farmer, in 1924. A fee simple title to a number of parcels including Section 9, Langridge Run District of Awatere, was created in 1930. The landholding was transferred to Margaret Helen van Asch, daughter of the Shirtliffs, who had married Ian Tasman van Asch. The van Asch’s sold the 96,000 acre Muller Station, which included the Langridge Station freehold, in 1965. Muller Station has been farmed by Steve and Mary Satterthwaite since 1980.

The Langridge Station Cob Oven is part of a significant cultural landscape that represents the pastoral heritage of New Zealand sheep stations. Cob was an important construction method in the rural South Island high country. The concentration of this building type along the Awatere Valley has created a network of regionally significant structures that are an integral part of a special cultural heritage landscape. The building and structures are a tangible legacy of pioneering farmers and farm workers in the area. They are entered on the New Zealand Heritage List and include the Mt Gladstone Station Cob Homestead (List No.2936), Mt Gladstone Cuddy (List No.1491), Accommodation House (Former) (List No.2924), Molesworth Station Large Cob Homestead (List No. 1492), Molesworth Station Cob Cottage (List No.1492) and the Langridge Station Stable (List No. 1488).


Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

1967 -
Public Works Department provides wire netting and corrugated iron to protect the cob oven

Public NZAA Number


Completion Date

3rd September 2014

Report Written By

Natasha Naus

Information Sources

Salmond, 1986

Jeremy Salmond, Old New Zealand Houses 1800-1940, Auckland, 1986, Reed Methuen

Ward, 1986

Tessa Ward, ‘Forgotten Earth Relics of Early Settlement’, Historic Places in New Zealand, Number 15, Dec 1986

Other Information

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Central Regional Office of Heritage New Zealand.

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.