Bridge

Helmore's Lane, Christchurch

  • Bridge, Christchurch.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Melanie Lovell-Smith. Date: 1/02/2002.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Able to Visit
List Number 1798 Date Entered 23rd June 1983

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Christchurch City

Region

Canterbury Region

Summaryopen/close

This wooden bridge over the Avon was constructed for Joseph Cornish Helmore, who at the time owned 50 acres of land on the north bank of the river. Helmore obtained permission from the Canterbury Provincial Government to construct a road through his block and to erect a bridge, at his expense, over the Avon. The completion of the bridge and road in 1866 opened up the area for subdivision.

The bridge itself is a timber beam bridge typical of its era and consists of three spans, two of approximately 4.5 metres and a centre span of approximately 9 metres. It is now subject to load restrictions.

The Helmore's Lane Bridge is significant as the only surviving nineteenth-century timber bridge in Christchurch.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1866 -

Completion Date

20th August 2001

Report Written By

Melanie Lovell-Smith

Information Sources

Ince, 1998

John A. Ince, A City of Bridges. A History of Bridges over the Avon and Heathcote Rivers in Christchurch, Christchurch, 1998

pp.82-86

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.