Presbytery

58 Sealy Street, Allenton, Ashburton

  • Presbytery.
    Copyright: The Roman Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Christchurch.
  • .
    Copyright: The Roman Catholic Bishop of the Diocese of Christchurch.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Registered List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2
List Number 1808 Date Entered 26th November 1981

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent of registration includes part of Lot 2 DP 3862000 (CT344997), Canterbury Land District and the building known as Presbytery, thereon.

City/District Council

Ashburton District

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Lot 2 DP 3862000 (CT344997), Canterbury Land District

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Maddison, Joseph Clarkson

Joseph Maddison (1850-1923) was born in Greenwich and came to Lyttelton in 1872. He settled in Christchurch and commenced practice as an architect.

He designed a large number of public buildings, mainly in Canterbury, including The Church of the Holy Innocents, Amberley, the Anglican Church at Port Levy, Warner's Hotel (1881) and Clarendon Hotel (1902), both in Christchurch, Government Buildings, Christchurch (1913) and numerous private residences.

Maddison was well known as an industrial architect and was responsible for the warehouses of the Kaiapoi Woollen Company. His specialty, however, was in the design of freezing works. Among his designs were the Canterbury Freezing Works, Belfast (1883) and the Mataura Freezing Works, Canterbury and he is considered to have been one of the chief exponents in this field during the late nineteeenth century.

He was admitted as a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1887.