St Andrew's Presbyterian Church

130 Havelock Street, Ashburton

  • St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. Image coutesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Graeme Partridge - 68bones. Taken By: Graeme Partridge. Date: 6/04/2010.
  • St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church. Image coutesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Graeme Partridge - 68bones. Taken By: Graeme Partridge. Date: 6/04/2010.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 1809 Date Entered 26th November 1981

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent of registration includes the land known as Pt Secs 202-203 Town of Ashburton (CT CB 216/256), Canterbury Land District and the building known as St Andrew's Presbyterian Church thereon.

City/District Council

Ashburton District

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Pt Secs 202-203 Town of Ashburton (CT CB 216/256), Canterbury Land District

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

England, Robert William & Edward Herbert

Robert William England (1863-1908) was born at Lyttelton, the son of a timber merchant. Educated in Christchurch, he chose to go to England for his architectural training and began practicing as an architect in Christchurch around the age of twenty-three. In 1906 he took his younger brother Edward (1875 - c.1953) into practice with him.

Among the notable residential designs the England Brothers were responsible for are McLean's Mansion, (1899 - 1902), and the third stage of Riccarton House (1900). Robert was more concerned with the final effect achieved than stylistic fidelity and drew on a variety of styles including the English Arts and Crafts movement. Some of their more well-known public works include the former D.I.C building in Cashel Street (1908), the A.J White building on the corner of Tuam and High Streets (c.1904-1910) and the Kaiapoi Woollen Mills building in Manchester Street (now demolished). They were also involved in designing a number of churches around Christchurch, including Knox Church in Bealey Avenue and St Albans Methodist Church.

The firm continued after Robert's death in 1908 until 1941, although it is generally considered Edward was a more conservative architect than his brother and the firm's most notable commissions occurred before Robert's death.

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1906 -

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.