135-165 High Street, Christchurch
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
26th November 1981
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Lot 1 DP 6289 (CT CB344/270), Lot 2 DP 6289 (CT CB757/81), Lot 3 DP 6289 (CT CB344/269), Lot 4 DP 6289 (CT CB344/272), Lot 5 DP 6289 (CT CB452/38), Lot 6 DP 6289 (CT CB344/273), Lot 7 DP 6289 (CT CB 344/275), Lots 8-11 DP 6289 (CT CB1C/1141), Lot 12 DP 6289 (CT CB344/277), Lot 13 DP 6289 (CT CB344/278), Lots 14-15 DP 6289 (CT CB 344/279), Lot 16 DP 6289 (CT CB344/280), Canterbury Land District and the buildings known as Duncan’s Buildings thereon.
Lot 1 DP 6289 (CT CB344/270), Lot 2 DP 6289 (CT CB757/81), Lot 3 DP 6289 (CT CB344/269), Lot 4 DP 6289 (CT CB344/272), Lot 5 DP 6289 (CT CB452/38), Lot 6 DP 6289 (CT CB344/273), Lot 7 DP 6289 (CT CB344/275), Lots 8-11 DP 6289 (CT CB1C/1141), Lot 12 DP 6289 (CT CB344/277), Lot 13 DP 6289 (CT CB 344/278), Lots 14-15 DP 6289 (CT CB 344/279), Lot 16 DP 6289 (CT CB344/280), Canterbury Land District
Luttrell, Alfred Edgar And Edward Sidney
Alfred (1865-1924) and Sidney (1872-1932) Luttrell established one of New Zealand's foremost Edwardian architectural practices when they arrived in Christchurch in 1902. The brothers had left Australia on the eve of Federation to pursue a more rewarding career in New Zealand.
Alfred had been based in Launceston, Tasmania, where he had been the apprentice of Harry Conway. In 1886 he stared his own firm.
His younger brother into partnership in 1897. The two men assumed different responsibilities within the firm, with Alfred acting as the principal designer and engineer while Sidney co-ordinated building programmes and dealt with clients. Sidney served his apprenticeship whit his brother, and in 1897 they became partners of A. & S. Luttrell. By 1902 they had established themselves in New Zealand, where they were known as S. & A. Luttrell
The Luttrells ran their own contracting firm for many years, designing a wide variety of building types throughout the country. They were the unofficial Diocesan architects for the Roman Catholic Church in Christchurch during the second decade of the twentieth century.
Their chief contribution to New Zealand architecture was in the introduction of the Chicago "skyscraper" style, as seen in the New Zealand Express Company buildings in Christchurch (1905-7) and Dunedin (1908-10). Alfred's habitual use of concrete construction, both mass and reinforced, is another significant feature of his work. The grandstands at Trentham racecourse are his most important work in reinforced concrete, and reveal Sidney's close involvement with the racing world, which led to numerous commissions for the firm.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.