283 Papanui Road, Christchurch

  • House, Christchurch.
    Copyright: Kete Christchurch. Taken By: Kete Christchurch. Date: 17/09/2010.
  • 1981. Original image submitted at time of registration.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection. Taken By: D Cosgrove.
  • Original image submitted at time of registration.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 1884 Date Entered 26th November 1981


Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Lot 7 DP 4109 and Pt Lot 6 DP 4109 (CT CB8F/741), Canterbury Land District and the building known as House thereon.

City/District Council

Christchurch City


Canterbury Region

Legal description

Lot 7 DP 4109 and Pt Lot 6 DP 4109 (CT CB8F/741), Canterbury Land District


The house at 283 Papanui Road in Christchurch was constructed in circa 1925 by architect Edward Herbert England as his own home. With its distinctive half-timbered first floor, it has architectural and aesthetic significance for its mid-1920s Elizabethan Revival design.

Edward (Eddie) England became a partner in the well-known architectural practice of England Brothers in 1906. After his brother Robert’s death in 1908, Eddie continued the practice and developed a reputation as a designer of large Domestic Revival houses. He appears to have established a pattern of designing houses in a speculative manner, living in them for a few years before selling. In 1920 Eddie built a house at 236 Papanui Road (List No. 1885) for himself, and in circa 1925 he then built the house at 283 Papanui Road for his next short-term residence.

The two-storeyed, multi-gabled house at 283 Papanui Road is part of a precinct of large architecturally designed early twentieth century houses on Papanui Road that contribute to the streetscape. The house sits on a rectangular section fronting the west side of Papanui Road, behind a medium height fence with integrated hedge. It has a brick ground floor, half-timbered roughcast first floor and slate roof.

England sold the house in February 1928 to James Catherwood, a retired farmer. After his death in 1934, Catherwood’s widow Margaret remained in the house until around 1944. Between 1944 and 1960 the property was owned by Eileen Wiltshire, wife of company director, Thomas Wiltshire, and then in 1964 Brian Hill, a wool buyer bought the house. The house has had numerous additions and alterations over the years. A single storeyed annex was added to the rear of the house in the 1960s and this was later altered by adding a second storey. The house was purchased by the current owners in the mid 1970s. In 1982 a large single storeyed wing, enclosing a spa pool and games room was added on a diagonal to the main axis of the house. In 1985 a garage and attic space above was added on the south side. In 2001-2, the ground floor kitchen was enlarged through the addition of a single storeyed addition on the north-west elevation. Repair to the house following damage caused during the Canterbury earthquakes of 2010-11 has included replacing all of the double brick exterior walls with timber framing supporting a brick veneer, removing two upstairs fireplaces and installing a replica chimney on the street façade.


Construction Professionalsopen/close

Edward Herbert England

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1925 -

Additional building added to site
Construction of single storeyed annex at rear

1982 -
Construction of single storeyed wing

1985 -
Garage added to south side

Ground floor kitchen extended

Completion Date

6th April 2017

Report Written By

Robyn Burgess

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Southern Region Office of Heritage New Zealand.