House

17 Worcester Street, Christchurch

  • House 17 Worcester St.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust.
  • House, 17 Worcester Street.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: B Carr. Date: 8/02/2011.
  • Original image submitted at time of registration.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection. Taken By: V E Meek. Date: 30/10/1992.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 1892 Date Entered 26th November 1981

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent of registration includes the land described as Lot 12 DP 1003 (CT CB33F/1135), Canterbury Land District and the building known as House, thereon

City/District Council

Christchurch City

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Lot 12 DP 1003 (CT CB33F/1135), Canterbury Land District

Summaryopen/close

Constructed in 1899, the single storeyed House at 17 Worcester Street contributes to the streetscape within Christchurch’s premier heritage precinct and has aesthetic and architectural value as an example of a double bay villa with classical features.

The block of land between Antigua Street (now Rolleston Avenue), Gloucester Street, Worcester Street and Montreal Street and was purchased in 1856 by Church Property Trustees, and in 1873 Reverend John Raven became the owner of this block. After Raven’s death in 1886 the sections were transferred to his London-based son, John Earle Reynolds Raven, and others who gradually sold and further divided the ‘Raven Paddock’. In October 1898 Lot 12 (then 208 Worcester Street, now 17 Worcester Street/Boulevard) was transferred to Charlotte Page, wife of Joshua Page. Joshua Page was one of the first livery stable-keepers in Christchurch, succeeding Messrs Idle and Skelton at the White Hart stables. He later built stables in Cashel Street and farmed at Spreydon and Timaru, becoming a well-known breeder and judge of stock. In 1899 the house at 15 Worcester Street was built as a residence for Charlotte and, by then, an ailing Joshua.

The single storeyed plastered brick house stands on the north side of Worcester Street, opposite The Arts Centre of Christchurch and flanked by late Victorian residences. The house is an example of a square plan villa with Italianate detailing. The main façade is symmetrical, with a central entrance porch and has decorative quoins and window brackets. It has a low pitched hipped roof of corrugated steel.

Joshua’s ill health may explain why the house had been purchased in Charlotte’s name. Not long after it was built, Joshua died at the house on 24 January 1900, aged 73. Charlotte continued to own the house until her death in 1928 but did not occupy it for all of this time. Ownership passed to members of the Sanders family, who had resided there since 1910. After the deaths of sisters Lucy and Blanche Sanders in the 1960s, the house was converted for use as a rest home, ‘Westhaven’. It was considerably altered at this time. The property ceased to be used as a rest home in circa 2002. In 2005, a rear sunporch addition from the 1960s was removed and replaced by a two-storeyed extension as part of conversion to a hotel. Since 2006, the building has operated as luxury boutique hotel accommodation, ‘The Classic Villa’.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1899 -

Modification
-
Conversion to rest home

Modification
-
Conversion to hotel (including two storeyed addition at rear)

Completion Date

9th February 2017

Report Written By

Robyn Burgess

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Southern region Office of Heritage New Zealand.