Limestone Bridge

Cleland Road, Totara Valley

  • Limestone Bridge.
    Copyright: Timaru District Council. Date: 10/03/2008.
  • Limestone Bridge.
    Copyright: Timaru District Council. Date: 10/03/2008.
  • Limestone Bridge. March 1993. Original image submitted at time of registration.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection. Taken By: J R Fougere.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Able to Visit
List Number 1986 Date Entered 23rd June 1983

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes part of the land described as Legal Road, Canterbury Land District and the structure known as Limestone Bridge thereon. Refer to extent map tabled at Heritage New Zealand Board meeting on 26 June 2014.

City/District Council

Timaru District

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Legal Road, Canterbury Land District

Location description

There is no street number. The GPS coordinates are 1440299.0438, 5100182.8528.

Summaryopen/close

Built in circa 1870, the Limestone Bridge on Cleland Road, Totara Valley, is one of a number of stone arch bridges built in the nineteenth century in South Canterbury that are an enduring reminder of early engineering design and which have high level of craftsmanship. Constructed by the Levels Road Board and still in use today, the Limestone Bridge is one of the few intact limestone arch bridges in the district and has historical, archaeological, aesthetic and architectural value.

Between the 1865 and 1880s, a number of stone bridges and culverts were constructed in South Canterbury. Most were small single span structures built of local limestone or bluestone (basalt). Early newspaper reports of the Levels Road Board meetings contained references to a ‘manuka bridge’ at Totara Flat. In 1874, Mr W Williamson, Engineer to the Board, suggested that it might be better to discontinue having anything further to do with bush bridges and recommended the use of stone as a material for bridge works where it could be easily procured. One of these stone bridges built was on Cleland Road, probably around 1870. Cleland Road is named after Scottish-born Andrew Cleland, who took up 2060 acres which he named ‘Loudon’, in the Totara Valley. He was a member of the Levels Road Board from 1875 to 1880.

The Limestone Bridge is on a mostly straight stretch of Cleland Road, around 200 metres to the north of the T-junction where Hays Road joins Cleland Road which is also the entrance to the St Paul’s Presbyterian Church (Former) (List No. 1995). The Limestone Bridge has a span of approximately 3.8 metres. The road width is 5.5 metres and the depth of the crown of the arch to water level is approximately 2 metres. The materials are local limestone. In his 1958 publication, South Canterbury – A Record of Settlement, Oliver A Gillespie records the construction of these early bridges as follows: ‘Before building a stone bridge, a wooden framework was erected to support the weight as the prepared stones were placed in position. Cement was used only for foundations and to smooth over interstices between the stones after these had been filled with chips. Stones, shaped at an angle to give an arch, were packed as tightly as possible. Those last to be placed in position were the wedge-shaped keystones which locked the whole structure and gave it strength. Once they were placed, the framework was removed and the bridge was ready to take the weight of traffic.’

In the early 1990s the side walls of the bridge were repaired and repointed.

Linksopen/close

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1870 -

Maintenance/repairs
1990 -
Bridge repaired and repointed

Completion Date

4th December 2017

Report Written By

Robyn Burgess

Information Sources

Stone Bridges of South Canterbury

Fougere, J R, Stone Bridges of South Canterbury, Timaru, 1993 (unpublished).

South Canterbury: A record of settlement, 1958

Gillespie, Oliver A, South Canterbury: A record of settlement, 1958 (second edition 1971)

Timaru District Built Heritage Inventory: From Mesopotamia to Pareora River

Opus International Consultants, Timaru District Built Heritage Inventory: From Mesopotamia to Pareora River, July 2004

Historic Stone Arch Bridges

Waugh, John, ‘Historic Stone Arch Bridges’, New Zealand Historic Places, No. 47, May 1994, pp. 20-21.

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Southern Regional Office of Heritage New Zealand