89 King Street, Temuka
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
23rd June 1983
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes part of the land described as Lot 1 DP 21126 (CT CB2A/229), part of the land described as Legal Road, Canterbury Land District and the building known as Stone Store thereon. Refer to the extent map tabled at the Rārangi Kōrero Committee meeting on 26 July 2018.
Lot 1 DP 21126 (CT CB2A/229) and Legal Road, Canterbury Land District
The Stone Store in central Temuka at 89 King Street, a two-storeyed bluestone building, was built in 1872 as part of early development in the town and has a very long history as a general store and drapery. As well as having architectural significance, the building’s long-standing emphasis on millinery, drapery and dressmaking demonstrates its historical and social significance.
In February 1868, John M Martin’s home and store were badly damaged by flood waters and three of his family were drowned. Despite the tragedy, in 1872 Martin erected a replacement store, this time in stone. The architect was Daniel West of Timaru.
Situated on the west side of King Street, the Stone Store is a two-storeyed bluestone structure with two hipped roofs and, on the front elevation, has a verandah that extends over the width of the footpath. The main east-facing elevation contains, on the ground floor, glazed display windows flanking a recessed central entranceway, with four sash windows and rusticated quoins at first floor level. Just below the simple parapet, at the centre, is the date 1872. The west elevation is set back off Vine Street and shows a modified single storeyed rear brick extension to the Stone Store.
In 1874, Martin sold his business to Joseph Bernard Wareing, though Martin retained an interest in the property for many years. Wareing quickly worked to enlarge the premises so that by 1875 the property included a dwelling-house, shop and large grain store, all made of stone. For the following eight years, the Stone Store operated variously as Wareing Bros, J B Wareing Draper and P Wareing Storekeeping, where they sold clothing and groceries. In 1882 Siegert and Fauvel took over the store, which featured a specialist dressmaking department. From the late 1880s John William Miles owned the business, stocking a ‘splendid variety of colonial and imported clothing’ and with a large and efficient dressmaking department. In 1891 Miles opened new and spacious show rooms at the rear of the Stone Store, and plans were afoot for another large room at the back for storing surplus stock. After thirty years running the store, Miles retired in early 1912 and the business was sold to Messrs W Moncur & Co. By 1916 James Crombie ran the drapery. Crombie sold the business to Thomas J Hughes in July 1923 and the following year Harold B Strange took over the drapery business. After a major flood in 1945, Joseph da Costa Crisp took over Strange’s drapery. In 1974 the Canterbury Farmers’ Co-operative Association (C F C A) entered the drapery field when it bought and modernised the long established business of J D Crisp’s Drapery. Between 1984 and 1986 it operated as Dalgety Crown Drapery, then from 1987 it was Ivan Bain Limited (Dress Fabric Specialist). 1993 Bain’s Fabrics was purchased by Joann Metcalf and Lynda Coffey but was still Bain’s Fabrics. Between 2003 and 2007 Colin Henderson and Lorraine Watkins ran the business as Fabric Galaxy. Continuing the drapery theme, the building currently operates as Complete Curtains. In circa 2008 the rear brick elevation was rebuilt to provide a more uniform appearance with the adjoining property (91 King Street) to the north.
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
bluestone building constructed
single storey brick extension at rear
façade of brick rear extension rebuilt
30th May 2018
Report Written By
Temuka Through the Years, An Informal History
Temuka History Book Committee, Temuka Through the Years, An Informal History, 2009
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Southern Region Office of Heritage New Zealand.