The Grange (Former)
1 Pages Road, Timaru
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
2nd April 2004
Extent of List Entry
Registration includes the building, its fixtures and fittings, and land on CT CB33A/69 but excludes the 1950s accommodation wing additions.
Lot 1 DP 16374 CT CB33A/69
Thomas Hall, (1818-95) older brother of John Hall (later Sir John, Premier of New Zealand) farmed at The Terrace Station along with his brother George from their arrival in Canterbury in 1853. The brothers had interests in a number of properties and Tom eventually purchased land just north of Timaru where he lived with his wife and family until 1883. . He called this farm Elloughton Grange after the place of his birth in Yorkshire.
William Grant (1843-1910) with his older brother Andrew migrated form Scotland in 1865 and on their arrival in Lyttelton were immediately employed as shepherds by Charles Tripp of Orari Gorge. William was allowed to run some cattle of his own on the Orari Gorge estate and successfully expanded this first small enterprise into a major stock dealing business. Over the following years he fruitfully bought and sold large blocks of land, either in partnership with his brother or on his own. These included Richmond Station, 1880-82; Irishman's Creek, 1883-1890; the Grampians, 1892/3-1908; Irishman's Creek 1902-1910; and The Wolds 1902-1910. In 1881 he purchased the 1,010 acre farm block Elloughton Grange and lived there for the rest of his life first of all in the house which Thomas Hall had built and then in the grand 17 room mansion which Maurice Duval designed for the property in 1893.
When Grant died in 1910 his wife remained in the house until her death in 1945. Their son Donald continued to farm the property until he died in 1952. It was when his wife died two years later that the house was first put on the market and was purchased by the South Canterbury Hospital Board for use as a home for the elderly. In 1959 and in 1972 additions were made to provide two wings of further accommodation units. They were linked to the main house away from the street frontage so that the house still appears to almost stand alone.
Since the property was purchased by Cam Holdings in 1990 some further units have been built and the internal features of the main house have been restored.
Historical Significance or Value
The old homestead which forms the heart of the complex at Elloughton Gardens has historic significance as the home of William Grant, a wealthy and very successful immigrant from Scotland.
It was designed by Maurice Duval a notable Timaru architect and its styling which reflects traditional Scottish houses gives it special architectural and aesthetic value.
(a) because it reflects an important aspect of New Zealand history, the opportunities offered to do well in a new colony. The house represents the achievements of a young Scottish shepherd who made his fortune as a land owner and stock dealer after migrating to Canterbury.
(b) William Grant was a person of importance in New Zealand history. He became one of the most successful meat operators and was for a long time the country's leading buyer and shipper, particularly after the commencement of trade in frozen meat. In Scotland his name became legendary as the emigrant who made a fortune.
(g)The house which Maurice Duval planned for him is a significant example of this architect's designing skills, its scale and imposing appearance reflecting its owner's wealth and status. Its turret and many gables are reminiscent of Scottish baronial forms, while the Scottish connections are further emphasised by thistle motifs in the plaster work and on the iron finials.
Maurice Duval was an European architect and engineer who set up practice in Timaru in 1861.
The two storeyed house has two principal facades, each divided into three gabled bays. The main entrance, on the right as one approaches from the street, is emphasised by a balustraded portico and a surmounting turret with iron cresting decorating its pavilion roof. The relative severity of the house's form is enlivened by decorative thistle motifs in the plaster work and on the iron finials
Encaustic tiles line the portico's flooring opening into an imposing foyer which features superbly detailed timber. The foyer enlarges at the rear to house the grand kauri stair decorated with fleur de lis motifs. The stair rises around the three walls of this double height space to the first floor gallery. The area is lit by a leaded glass window.
Kauri is used extensively in the dining room which has a magnificent coffered ceiling, fire surround and matching detailed door cases. The original fireplace and tiles survive as do the leaded windows and patterned metal door plates. The two front rooms have lost much of their former grandeur, though decorative ceiling plaster work remains.
Since its conversion for uses as a retirement home, additions have been made to the north side of the building where a large room now opens to the sun. It has been sympathetically styled to relate to the original house's character, with plaster detailing replicated. Less sympathetic additional rooms were added in the 1950s but the more recent expansion to provide individual residential units does not impinge on the house's integrity.
Minor modifications to the house in 1959 and an accommodation wing added.
Additions of another accommodation wing.
Further units added 1990 and another block is planned (2003/4).
Treble brick construction for ground floor, double brick for upper floor. The exterior is plastered and inscribed to represent blocks of stone with quoins defining the corner sections. The roof is corrugated iron.
7th September 2004
Report Written By
L.G.D. Acland, The Early Canterbury Runs, 4th ed., Christchurch, 1975
McDonald,G.R. Biographical Card Index. MS.
New Zealand Historic Places Trust (NZHPT)
New Zealand Historic Places Trust
R Pinney, Early South Canterbury Runs, Wellington, 1971
A fully referenced version of this report is available from the NZHPT Southern Region Office.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.