Allbell Chambers

127 Stuart Street, Dunedin

  • Allbell Chambers. Image courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org.
    Copyright: Ben Hill - Wikimedia Commons. Taken By: Ben Hill. Date: 14/08/2009.
  • Allbell Chambers. Building detail. Image courtesy of commons.wikimedia.org.
    Copyright: Ben Hill - Wikimedia Commons. Taken By: Ben Hill. Date: 14/08/2009.
  • Allbell Chambers.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Chris Horwell. Date: 4/02/2014.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Registered List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2
List Number 2134 Date Entered 2nd July 1982

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Dunedin City

Region

Otago Region

Legal description

Pt Secs 23 36 Blk 15 Town of Dunedin

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

White, James Hodge

J H White (1896-1970) was born in Dunedin and educated in Tasmania but returned to Dunedin to undertake his early training with a local architectural firm. Having served overseas during World War One, White was awarded a British Army Scholarship and subsequently attended the London School of Architecture for three years. He graduated with honours, winning the gold medal of the International Victory Scholarship (1921). Following his return to New Zealand White undertook a study tour of the United States with fellow architect Horace Massey before settling in Dunedin, where he entered into a brief partnership with Leslie Coombes (1925-6). Coombes & White won the national competition for the design of the Southland War Memorial which was erected in Invercargill, but soon afterwards the partnership was dissolved and in 1927 White joined forces with another Dunedin architect, Eric Miller (1896-1948).

Miller & White became architects to the University of Otago, won the national design competition for the Auckland Residential Methodist College and also designed the Regent Theatre, Dunedin, the Willi Fels Wing of the Otago Museum (c.1929), and numerous other commercial, ecclesiastical and residential buildings in Dunedin. James White was the principal designer of the firm and it was in this capacity that he designed the St John Ambulance building in York Place and the New Zealand Road Services Passenger Station in Rattray Street (1939) which is also in the Art Deco style. After Eric Miller's death White entered partnership with Ian Dunn, who had been with the practice since 1933. The firm then became known as Miller, White & Dunn. This practice won the national competition for the design of the Canterbury Museum extensions in 1951. James White retired five years before his death in 1970 and today the firm is continued by his son Geoffrey in partnership with Rodney Dalziel.