Jopp Residence (Former)
37 Ann Street, Roslyn, Dunedin
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
2nd July 1982
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Pt Allots 4-5 DEED 9 (CT OT266/172), Otago Land District, and the building known as the Jopp Residence (Former), thereon.
Pt Allots 4-5 DEED 9 (CT OT266/172), Otago Land District
This Edwardian villa, dating from the early years of the twentieth century, was built as a town house for Central Otago runholder Andrew Jopp and his wife Eliza. The house has historic, architectural and aesthetic significance.
The land on which this house sits was part of a larger block in the Upper Kaikorai District of Dunedin owned by Helen Hood. The large block was subdivided in 1862 to form the village of Sunnyside. A newspaper advertisement indicates that this land may not have been built on until 1906. In October 1906, Allotment 4 and part of Allotment 5 (on the corner of Ann Street and William (now Hereford) Streets) were offered for sale. The lots were described as ‘building sites’ – suggesting no buildings were on the property – and ‘almost on the route of the tram lines, commanding a good view, and lying well to the sun.’
In March 1905, Andrew Jopp purchased the land. Andrew Jopp (1842-1912) emigrated from Scotland in 1862, first working as a shepherd on Morven Hills Station, and later droving stock through Otago and Southland, and later owner of Moutere Station near Alexandra in Central Otago. Andrew’s son Robert (1882-1966) (known as Bob) took over the run from his father in 1910. This house on Ann Street may have been the house to which he retired. The Jopp family has continued the association with Moutere to 2010 and beyond, and have remained leaders in the merino industry.
Mrs Andrew Jopp (Eliza) appears in the street directories in Ann Street in 1905, meaning she was probably living there in 1905. Andrew Jopp owned it until his death at age 73 in 1912. Valuation rolls indicate that there was a house on the site by 1908.
This is a handsome double bay villa, with gabled bays, and extensive decorative detailing – including cast iron lace, decorative detailing such as eave brackets, finials and scalloped barge boards. The house is a representative example of an early twentieth century villa. In 2016, it remains a private residence.
6th December 2016
Report Written By
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand.