James Fletcher’s Residence (Former)

276 High Street, Dunedin

  • James Fletcher’s Residence (Former), Dunedin.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 2171 Date Entered 2nd July 1982

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Pt Sec 34 Blk VII Town of Dunedin (CT OT356/8), Otago Land District, and the building known as James Fletcher’s Residence (Former), thereon.

City/District Council

Dunedin City

Region

Otago Region

Legal description

Pt Sec 34 Blk VII Town of Dunedin (CT OT356/8), Otago Land District

Summaryopen/close

Built in 1923 by James Fletcher (later Sir James) for his family residence, this grand Dutch-style brick and roughcast residence stands as a reminder of Fletcher’s importance in New Zealand’s building industry and economy, and has architectural, aesthetic and historical significance.

Scottish-born James Fletcher arrived in New Zealand in 1908 with a bag of tools and a few pounds in his pocket and a determination to make good. He had been apprenticed as a carpenter before he came to Dunedin. After first working as a foreman for a building firm, he set up a house-building partnership with Bert Morris in 1909. They moved onto construction work, taking on large projects. Fletcher’s brothers joined him, the company known as Fletcher Brothers. By 1919, the company was known as Fletcher Construction, and was established in Dunedin, Auckland and Wellington. The company expanded through ‘vertical integration’ establishing a joinery factory, buying timber mills, and a significant shareholding in the brickmaking industry. He also established a concrete production business. The company was publicly listed in 1940 as Fletcher Holdings. James Fletcher retired in 1967 and died in Auckland in August 1974.

The house was designed by William H. Dunning. Dunning was a Tasmanian-born architect whose other work in Dunedin included the National Bank in Princes Street, Ross Home in North East Valley, the RSA Buildings in Moray Place, and Barton’s Buildings. Plans show a generous residence with a grand entrance hall and lobby, drawing room, dining room and breakfast room (as well as service rooms) on the first floor and five bedrooms on the first floor. The exterior is brick and rough cast with flared gables, a semi-circular entrance hall, multi-pane windows and decorative brickwork.

In later years the house has been modified to allow for boutique accommodation and in 2016, the house is known as Fletcher Lodge.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Fletcher, James

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

William H. Dunning

William H. Dunning, was a Tasmanian-born architect whose other work in Dunedin included the National Bank in Princes Street, Ross Home in North East Valley, the RSA Buildings in Moray Place, and Barton’s Buildings.

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1923 -

Completion Date

6th December 2016

Report Written By

Heather Bauchop

Information Sources

Dictionary of New Zealand Biography

Dictionary of New Zealand Biography

Selwyn James Parker. 'Fletcher, James', from the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, updated 24-Sep-2013

URL: http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/biographies/4f17/fletcher-james

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand.