McNeil Cottage (Mullhollands Stone House)

14 Church Street, Queenstown

  • McNeil Cottage (Mullhollands Stone House), Queenstown. Image courtesy of management Sep. 2015.
    Copyright: Sasso Queenstown.
  • McNeil Cottage (Mullhollands Stone House), Queenstown. 1987. Image included in Field Record Form Collection.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: L Galer.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 2330 Date Entered 24th November 1983

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Queenstown-Lakes District

Region

Otago Region

Legal description

Sec 4 Blk III Queenstown

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

McNeil, James

Stonemason.

The text below is from the original Proposal for Classification report considered by the NZHPT Board at the time of registration.

James McNeil was a local stonemason, who also built the Lake County offices and a cottage for himself in Church Street which is still extant. He was a Master of the local Masonic Lodge on a number of occasions and lived in Queenstown from around 1882 until his death in 1920.

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1882 -
Plain box cottage

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.