Dansey’s Hut

408 Special School Road, Otekaieke

  • Dansey’s Hut. Original image submitted at time of registration. 1991.
    Copyright: NZHPT Field Record Form Collection. Taken By: Lois Galer.
  • Dansey’s Hut.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Stuart Park. Date: 29/06/2012.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 2419 Date Entered 7th April 1983

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes part of the land described as Lot 1 DP 465971 (CT 621856), Otago Land District, and the building known as Dansey’s Hut, thereon, as shown in the extent map tabled at the Rarangi Korero Committee meeting on 9 March 2017.

City/District Council

Waitaki District

Region

Canterbury Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 465971 (CT 621856), Otago Land District

Summaryopen/close

This stone hut, located within the former Otekaike Station, served as hearth and home for William Dansey, an early runholder of Run 28. A reminder of the early accommodations of runholders in these isolated areas, Dansey’s Hut has historical and architectural significance.

Located close to Hille’s Cave (List No. 2422) is the small limestone hut associated with pastoralist William Dansey and is believed to date from the late 1850s. According to historian Robert Pinney the house was built by James Dunn and James May. William Dansey was established on Otekaike by May 1858 and was the youngest son of a scholarly rector, was educated at Exeter College, Oxford. He arrived in Port Chalmers in December 1854 and after visiting Port Nicholson and Nelson, made his way to the Waitaki Valley. Dansey had a house on Run 28 by early 1859, as he is reported as an elector in the Waitaki District in April of that year. A survey plan from April 1861 shows Dansey’s freehold – a 92 acre block with his house, stable and futtah, and an adjacent 11 acre block with ‘men’s house’ and woolshed.’ Dansey laid the foundation for the next runholder – Robert Campbell – who would make the property one of the most significant in New Zealand.

The hut is a small single gable, single room stone structure. Around 1993, the hut was ‘restored’ – debris removed from the interior, the concrete floor removed (returning to the original earth floor), the roof framing replaced and the iron replaced with thatch. It is not known when the hut was last occupied. In 2016, the Dansey’s Hut remains a historic feature within Campbell Park Estate.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

James Dunn and James May

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Public NZAA Number

I40/65

Completion Date

14th December 2016

Report Written By

Heather Bauchop

Information Sources

Dictionary of New Zealand Biography

Dictionary of New Zealand Biography

D. C. McDonald. 'Campbell, Robert', from the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/biographies/2c4/campbell-robert (accessed 13 December 2016)

McDonald, 1962

K C McDonald, 'White Stone Country', Oamaru, 1962

New Zealand Journal of History

New Zealand Journal of History

Bob Hall, ‘Land for the Landless: Settlement of the Otekaike Estate in North Otago 1908’ in New Zealand Journal of History, 19, 1, 1985

Pinney, 1981

R. Pinney, Early Northern Otago Runs, Auckland, 1981

Thornton, 1986

Geoffrey Thornton, The New Zealand Heritage of Farm Buildings, Auckland, 1986

Petchey, 2003

Peter Petchey, ‘Campbell Park Heritage Assessment: History and archaeology of Otekaieke Estate, grounds and gardens’, 2003

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand.