Windsor Park Estate Homestead

960 Weston-Ngapara Road, Elderslie

  • Windsor Park Estate Homestead. c.1880. Image courtesy of the North Otago Museum Collection. Accession No. 2013/237.22.
    Copyright: North Otago Museum. Taken By: Unknown.
  • Windsor Park Station Homestead in its garden setting. Image courtesy of North Otago Museum Collection. Accession No. 2005.
    Copyright: North Otago Museum. Taken By: Unknown.
  • Windsor Park Station Homestead. c.1900. Image courtesy of North Otago Museum Collection. Accession No. 2013/175 .
    Copyright: North Otago Museum. Taken By: Unknown.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 2437 Date Entered 7th April 1983

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Lot 1 DP 16738 (CT 92779), Otago Land District and the building known as Windsor Park Estate Homestead thereon. It does not include any other buildings on the land parcel.

City/District Council

Waitaki District

Region

Otago Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 16738 (CT 92779), Otago Land District

Location description

Located on the north side of the Weston-Ngapara Road, between Pine Hill Road and Windsor Park Road.

Summaryopen/close

This imposing residence was built in 1873 on pastoralist and stock breeder Edward Menlove’s Windsor Park Estate. The homestead, set in park-like gardens, was the hub of his extensive property, and demonstrates the lifestyle of wealthy landowners in nineteenth century North Otago. Windsor Park’s substantial outbuildings, including stone stables (Register No. 2438) and men’s quarters/cookshop (Register No. 2439,) are located nearby.

The Filleul brothers were the first runholders in the Teaneraki area in 1853. Edward Menlove and Thomas Calcutt purchased the run in 1865. In 1869, the land at Waiareka became the property of Menlove alone. He and his family moved there from Dunedin in the early 1870s and by 1877, Menlove had 14,000 acres [5,665 hectares] at Waiareka. He set about establishing an estate suitable for an English gentleman, stocking the streams with trout, landscaping the grounds and building his residence and the associated farm buildings. Menlove immersed himself in local affairs. He was active in the Presbyterian church, the North Otago Agricultural and Pastoral Society, the Oamaru Harbour Board, the Oamaru hospital committee and the New Zealand Refrigerating Company. He was also a renowned stock breeder – particularly Clydesdales and sheep.

Prominent Dunedin architect David Ross designed the two-storey Oamaru stone house. The ‘palatial residence’ as one contemporary newspaper described it, provided generous accommodation for Menlove and his family. The hall was, ornamented with ‘two Oamaru pillars, of Elizabethan architecture’. To the left of the hall was the parlour with a 12 foot [3.6 metre] stud and a deep bay window. Next to the parlour was the kitchen with a Leamington range and steam pressure boiler to provide hot water. A side window provided access for the dining room. Off the kitchen was the scullery, the pantry and the back staircase. On the opposite side of the hall, at the back of the house, was the day nursery. The dining room next door had bells to ring for service and an upward sliding door provided a link with the drawing room. The drawing room, of similar dimensions to the dining room, had access to the conservatory which ran along the east elevation of the house. The bedrooms and servants’ rooms were upstairs.

Windsor Park estate shaped the surrounding settlements, with Menlove subdividing to provide for settlement at what became the village of Windsor. In the later years of the nineteenth century, Windsor Park was subdivided in line with the government policy of closer settlement. The house remained the hub of the farm until in the late 1970s, when the homestead was subdivided from the farm steading. In 2014, Windsor Park Homestead remains a private residence set in extensive grounds, and a testament to the enterprising Edward Menlove.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Ross, David

David Ross (1827-1908) was one of a significant number of architects who came to New Zealand from Australia in the early 1860s prompted by the news of the Otago gold rushes. Born in Scotland, Ross worked in Victoria in the late 1850s before settling in Dunedin in c.1862, whereupon he entered into a brief partnership with William Mason (1810-97). After establishing his own practice, Ross designed the Congregational Church (1863-64), Dunedin's oldest ecclesiastical building, Fernhill house (1867) which is now home to the Dunedin Club, and the central wing of the Otago Museum (1876-77).

In the mid-1860s Ross worked briefly in Hokitika (1866) before returning to Dunedin and in 1870 he applied for a patent for the frames and apparatus required for the construction of works in concrete. This application lapsed but it is nevertheless significant as it places Ross at the forefront of the development of mass concrete construction in this country. In addition to his professional responsibilities David Ross was also a member of the first Dunedin City Council (1865-66) and in 1876 he became the first president of the joint Institute of Engineers and Architects in Otago. Ross may have returned to Australia in the early 1890s and it would appear that he spent the rest of his life living in the United States and Japan.

King, Thomas

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

Barnum, Charles

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1873 -

Modification
-
First floor balcony removed, conservatory demolished

Additional building added to site
1912 -
Chauffeur’s quarters built (but never used for that purpose)

Completion Date

22nd April 2014

Report Written By

Heather Bauchop

Information Sources

Thornton, 1986

Geoffrey Thornton, The New Zealand Heritage of Farm Buildings, Auckland, 1986

Muirhead, 1990

Syd Muirhead, Historic North Otago, Oamaru Mail, 1990

Other Information

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand.

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.