Bank of New South Wales

Dee And Tay Streets, Invercargill

  • Westpac Building (Former Bank of New South Wales). 2000.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust.
  • Westpac Building (Former Bank of New South Wales). Image courtesy of www.flickr.com .
    Copyright: Shellie Evans - flyingkiwigirl. Taken By: Shellie Evans - flyingkiwigirl. Date: 1/01/2014.
  • Westpac Building (Former Bank of New South Wales). Image courtesy of www.flickr.com.
    Copyright: Andrew Baird. Taken By: Andrew Baird - The Roaming Radiographer. Date: 27/01/2008.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 2443 Date Entered 30th August 1990

Locationopen/close

City/District Council

Invercargill City

Region

Southland Region

Legal description

Lot 5, DP 5189, Pt Sec 22 Blk 2 Town of Invercargill, CT195/230

Location description

Corner of 1 Dee Street and Tay Street, Invercargill.

Summaryopen/close

DESCRIPTION

The site of the present Bank of New South Wales was occupied in 1856 by a store owned by James Macandrew, later Superintendent of Otago. These were the first commercial premises in Invercargill. He later bought the site at the sale of the Tay Street sections for £46. In 1863 the Bank of New South Wales purchased the site occupied by James Macandrew's store for £5,000. They moved to new premises on this site in 1875. The architect was W.H. Clayton.

In 1882 a fire destroyed the adjacent Bank of Australia building (where the present ANZ stands) and severely damaged the Bank of New South Wales. The premises were rebuilt. Tenders were called in 1902 for a new building to replace the existing structure. The banking chamber was opened for business 12 September 1904. The exterior of the building has remained relatively unchanged since its completion.

Assessment criteriaopen/close

Historical Significance or Value

This building occupies a site that has been a significant one since Invercargill began and its commercial importance was recognised at an early stage by the Bank of New South Wales. The growing prosperity of Invercargill and its agriculturally rich region at the turn of the century was reflected in these comparatively lavish banking premises.

ARCHITECTURAL QUALITY:

This building is a particularly fine example of an exuberant and ornate Classical style very popular in Edwardian New Zealand. The architect displayed an inventive originality in the use of fenestration and decoration and made full use of the building's corner site. The standard of decoration is very high.

Such a substantial and lavish building is not that common in provincial centres. The building, on the exterior at least, remains in relatively original condition and has long been a major contributor to Invercargill's inner-city character.

TOWNSCAPE/LANDMARK VALUE:

With its bold form and decoration this building, sited as it is on one of Invercargill's most prominent corners and in conjunction with the nearby former Bank of New Zealand and National Bank makes a most valuable contribution to the city streetscape.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Brodrick, Cuthbert John

Cuthbert John Brodrick (1867-1946) was born in Invercargill, the fifth son of Thomas Brodrick, and educated at Southland Boys High School. In 1884 Brodrick was articled to F.W. Burwell and travelled with him to Melbourne to complete his training. He returned to New Zealand in 1891 after architectural draughting in Queensland for the Government. In 1906 he married Jemima ('Nonnie') Thompson.

After practising in Hawera for six years he returned to Invercargill where he practised until his retirement about 1943. During his career, he served as President of the Institute of Architects in 1911, as Vice-President in 1917, and as a member of the council in 1935.

The first building he designed in Invercargill was the Alexandra building. Others included the Bank of New South Wales, the Kaiapoi building, the Grand Hotel, the Southland Daily News, the Invercargill Savings Bank and grandstands for the Southland Racing Club.

Brodrick was also a member of the Borough Council for three terms and became Deputy Mayor.

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION:

This two-storeyed ornate Classical building occupies a corner site in central Invercargill. The principal feature of the building is the repeated but varied use of arched windows surrounded by decorative relief work above the springing line. The top storey windows are arranged in pairs or triples separated by columns. An elaborate string course defines the springing line.

The ground floor windows are larger but retain the prominent arched motif. The present entrances on both elevations are defined by small triangular pediments and flanked by composite columns. Above the pediments are recessed bays containing a single arched window. The Dee Street entrance is obscured somewhat by an unfortunate verandah addition. The rounded corner is defined, on the ground floor, by the employment of a pair of composite columns between two pairs of columns and pilasters and on the upper storey by a recessed bay and balcony. The building is capped by a decorative parapet with a circular motif.

MODIFICATIONS:

1954

- Main entrance on the corner removed and replaced by glazing.

- Verandah added on Dee Street entrance.

- Some interior alterations.

1968

- Further interior alterations - installation of mezzanine floor, new ceilings and concrete columns.

Notable Features

The near original facade with its fine decoration.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1904 -

Modification
1954 -
Main entrance on the corner removed and replaced by glazing. Verandah added on Dee Street entrance. Some interior alterations.

Modification
1968 -
Further interior alterations - installation of mezzanine floor, new ceilings and concrete columns.

Construction Details

Walls, brick and plaster; roof, clad in corrugated iron. The additions and mezzanine floor (1968), reinforced concrete.

Information Sources

Chappell, 1961

N.M. Chappell, New Zealand Banker's Hundred: Bank of New Zealand 1861-1961, Wellington, 1961

Deaker, 1960

A.J. Deaker, Centenary of First Church: The Story of First Presbyterian Church, Invercargill, New Zealand, Invercargill, 1960

Otago Daily Times

Otago Daily Times

Sinclair, 1987

Keith Sinclair (ed.), Tasman Relations: New Zealand and Australia, 1788-1988, Auckland, 1987

Southland Daily News

Southland Daily News

Southland Times

Southland Times

Harnetts Official Dictionary, 1864

Harnetts Official Dictionary of 1864, Dunedin and Invercargill

Butlin, 1961

S T Butlin, History of Australian and New Zealand Banking Group, 1961

Watt, 1963

J O P Watt, Invercargill Fire Brigade Centennial Booklet 1863-1963, Invercargill, 1963

Watt, 1971

J O P Watt. Centenary Invercargill 1871 - 1971. 1971

Hall-Jones, 1946

F G Hall-Jones, Invercargill Pioneers. 1946

Reed, 1956

A H Reed. The Story of Early Dunedin. 1956

Ministry of Works and Development

Ministry of Works and Development

History of the Colonial Chambers, Invercargill

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.