Central Methodist Church
82 Jed Street, Invercargill
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
24th November 1983
Secs 11/12 Blk LX Invercargill Town
The Central Methodist Church was designed by architect E.H. Smith, and was opened on 5 October 1935.
The Church occupies a prominent site on the corner of Jed and Yarrow Streets in Invercargill. The Church is constructed of brick, with a steel roof and timber floors. It is strongly rectilinear in design, with asymmetrical massing, with strong clearly expressed shapes, including a tower, and restrained ornamentation. The memorial stained glass windows, featuring children coming to Jesus, Christ as a baby, a child and a man, and John Wesley preaching to his parish (the world), were donated by parishioners. The three sets each comprise of three slender windows with vertical mullions.
The Methodist congregation worshiped in the building for over fifty years. The Church was sold into private ownership in the mid 1990s, and has been used as a second hand shop since that time.
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
Ceased use as a church due to falling attendances
30th June 2006
Report Written By
Jim Toms and Iris Lankshear (compilers), 'Methodists in the South' - Land Story of Invercargill Methodist Parish properties, unpublished, September 1995 [copy held Otago/Southland Area Office Library)
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.