Feldwick Memorial Gates
Coronation Avenue And Victoria Avenue, Queen’S Park, Invercargill
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Able to Visit
24th November 1983
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes part of the land described as Lot 2 DP 430107 (CT 517206), Southland Land District, and the Feldwick Memorial Gates, thereon. Refer to the extent map tabled at the Rārangi Kōrero Committee meeting on 26 July 2018.
Lot 2 DP 430107 (CT 517206), Southland Land District
The handsome Feldwick Memorial Gates at the entrance to Invercargill’s Queen’s Park stand as a reminder of the generosity of benefactor John Feldwick whose 1913 bequest funded much of the development of the park. The gates have aesthetic, social, historical and architectural significance.
Surrey-born John Feldwick (c. 1844-1913) came to New Zealand in as a young man with his family. Henry Feldwick, John’s brother, shifted to Invercargill in 1876 and entered into a partnership with William Craig, proprietor of the Southland News. John followed Henry there, and after William Craig’s retirement, entered into the partnership. After Henry’s death in 1908, the family sold the paper. Henry returned to England, where he died in 1908. John on his death in 1913, left a substantial £20,000 bequest to the council to be invested, and the income used for developing Queen’s Park.
In 1924, in recognition of Feldwick’s generosity the ‘magnificent main gates’ were erected at the south end of Coronation Avenue, facing out onto a broad crescent driveway from Gala Street reserve. The memorial gates were officially opened in December 1926. The Southland Times reported that ‘the fact that Invercargill citizens are far from unappreciative of the benefits bestowed upon the borough was forcibly demonstrated yesterday afternoon when a large gathering, representative of all sections of the community, attended the official opening of the Feldwick Memorial Gates.’ While it has been written that the gates were funded through the bequest, in fact rates funded the gates as ‘something in the nature of a memorial to a gentleman who has given such a handsome donation.’ The mayor then congratulated – but did not identify – the contractors, the architect and the designers of the bust.
The plaque on one of the pillars reads ‘erected by the Municipality of Invercargill to the memory of John Feldwick’ in recognition of his ‘munificent bequest to this park.’ Between the two engraved plaques is a bronze relief of John Feldwick. The other gate post features Invercargill’s original Coat of Arms incorporating a plough, a sheaf of grain and a bale of wool, along with a ship. On 22 December 1926 the gates were officially opened. The brick gateposts have pilasters on which are mounted commemorative plaques. The gate posts are mounted with urns draped with wreaths. Cast iron gates provide access to Coronation Drive – a grand central entrance, and smaller pedestrian entrance flanked by smaller gate posts and side walls. In 2018, Feldwick Memorial Gates still provide a grand entrance to Invercargill’s beautiful Queen’s Park.
1924 - 1926
21st May 2018
Report Written By
Otago Witness, 6 Aug 1913, p. 34.
Southland Times, 23 Dec 1926, p. 6.
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand.