House

85 Banks Street And Bamborough Street, Invercargill

  • House, 85 Banks St, Invercargill.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: Chris Horwell. Date: 7/03/2018.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 2475 Date Entered 24th November 1983

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Lot 1 DP 6377 (CT SLB1/81), Southland Land District, and the house thereon.

City/District Council

Invercargill City

Region

Southland Region

Legal description

Lot 1 DP 6377 (CT SLB1/81), Southland Land District

Summaryopen/close

This Georgian Revival-style house, with its notable clarity, simplicity and symmetry, is thought to have been built for Invercargill accountant James Orr. It is not known who designed the house.

The land on which this house was built was part of a larger estate that was subdivided in 1910 and the sections sold as a suburban extension within Invercargill Borough. James Orr bought this property from William Eadie in 1932. At the time, Georgian Revival was a style favoured by academically trained architects. Georgian Revival recreated the characteristics of Colonial Georgian style, noted for its ‘clarity, simplicity, reasonable proportions, restrained and simplified classicism.’ Georgian Revival characteristics evident in this building include symmetry, regular repetitive fenestration, and a roof of simple configuration. The multi-pane windows and the louvered shutters, and classical elements also represent this style.

In 2015, the house remains a private residence.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Wood, Cecil Walter

Born in Christchurch, Wood (1878-1947) was articled to the local architect Frederick Strouts between 1894 and 1899. He worked for a short time as a draughtsman with the firm Clarkson and Ballantyne before travelling to England in 1901. Here Wood was exposed to a high quality of architectural design in the Edwardian Free Style, and was employed by two leading Edwardian architects Robert Weir Shultz and Leonard Stokes.

In 1907 Wood returned to New Zealand to take up partnership with Samuel Hurst Seager. The partnership lasted for only one year for Wood set up his own practice in 1908. The years 1908-1915 were dominated by domestic commissions, but it was also during this time that he began his association with Christ's College, which included such commissions as Hare Memorial Library (1915), the Memorial Dining Hall (1923-5), Jacob's House (1931) and Open Air Classrooms (1932). During the 1920s Wood's practice began to expand and a Georgian influence can be seen in such works as Weston House Park Terrace (1923-4) and Bishopscourt (1926-7).

A short lived partnership in 1927 with R S D Harman allowed Wood to travel to the United States while another in 1937 with Paul Pascoe allowed him to travel to England, Europe and the United States without neglecting his practice. During this second trip he made preparations for the design of St Paul's Anglican Cathedral in Wellington, which was erected after his death.

During his life Wood had made a substantial contribution to the architecture of Christchurch, having an enthusiasm for both European and American styles.

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1928 -

Completion Date

18th March 2015

Report Written By

Heather Bauchop

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request fromthe Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand