45 Dalrymple Street, Invercargill
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
24th November 1983
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Lot 1 DP 1410 (CT SL158/109), Southland Land District and the House thereon.
Lot 1 DP 1410 (CT SL158/109), Southland Land District
This handsome single-storey stone residence, possibly built 1912-1915 by builder John Young as his own residence, or as an investment property, is a good example of an early twentieth century residence making use of new building technologies. The house has architectural, aesthetic and historical significance.
The house was built after November 1912 – the subdivision survey of this date shows vacant land. The 1915 Wise’s Post Office Directory records that builder John M. Young was resident at 26 Dalrymple Street, on the corner of Conon Street. It is likely that Young built the house as his own residence.
This is a generous single-storey residence – bluestone with contrasting limestone facings, with a red asbestos-cement tile roof, and a stone wall to the street front. The roof tiles were a recent innovation – the technology patented around 1900 in Germany and available in New Zealand from around 1905. The tiles were promoted as easy to lay, without the need for wooden lathes, and easily nailed without danger of splitting, as well as being fireproof. The house bears a close resemblance to that used to advertise the Poilite tiles in the same period – similar plan, single dormer window and gabled construction.
It has not been possible to identify the architect who designed the house, if there was one, although Charles Lambeth invites tenders for a house on Dalrymple Road in 1915. As Young was a builder himself, it is possible that he designed and built the residence.
Young sold the property to saw miller Malachy Joseph Kilkelly in October 1916. Kilkelly shifted with wife Honora to town from Grove Bush. A funeral notice indicates that the Kilkellys had a house on the corner of Conon and Dalrymple Streets by January 1917, and that the property had the address 19 Dalrymple Road. Bootmaker Herbert Young bought the property in 1944, and he in turn sold it to Walter and Francis Horton in 1949. Famer Arthur Macknight owned the property for some twenty years into the 1980s. In 2018, 45 Dalrymple Street remains a private residence.
1912 - 1915
2nd May 2018
Report Written By
John Chambers and Son Limited, 1915
Poilite Pictures: a representative selection of photographs of private residences, government, religious, educational, commercial and Industrial buildings in New Zealand and Australia, [Auckland 1915?]
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand