160 Yarrow Street, Invercargill
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
24th November 1983
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Pt Sec 16 and Pt Sec 17 Blk LVII Town of Invercargill (CT SLB3/1005, SL10A/186), Southland Land District, and the cottage thereon.
Pt Sec 16 and Pt Sec 17 Blk LVII Town of Invercargill (CT SLB3/1005, SL10A/186), Southland Land District
This worker’s cottage, with its central door flanked by multi-pane sash windows, probably dating from the 1870s, represents a typical nineteenth century modest dwelling.
The land on which this cottage stands was first granted to Maria Elphinstone in April 1865. Invercargill widow Anne MacKay was issued the title in 1884. She took out a mortgage in 1884 and another in 1887. Anne MacKay died in November 1888. Anecdotal evidence that the building was originally roofed with timber shakes points to an early date of construction, probably making Maria Elphinstone the first owner. No information has been found on these early owners.
After Anne MacKay’s death, the land was transferred to William Strang. Strang owned the property until 1909 when he sold it to Martha Tresslow. Rose Blondell owned the property for a short time before selling to farmer John Williams in 1912. Williams sold the property to labourer Alfred Pratt in 1924, and he in turn sold to labourer John Lawrence in 1928. On Lawrence’s death in 1942, the property was sold to Ivy Hilston, wife of railway worker Thomas Hilston. There have been several subsequent owners.
The cottage is a ‘salt-box’ gable with a lean-to at the rear for kitchen and services. The style is that typical of a modest worker’s cottage. It has a central door with a window either side – a ‘basic unit of ordinary house design’ throughout the nineteenth century. The sash windows on the front elevation have six lights in each sash. The front door has four panels. Over the windows and the door are timber awnings. The cottage has timber piles, a corrugated iron roof, three bedrooms, a living area and a small kitchen. A 2004 valuation report indicated that the bathroom and the toilet were detached from the cottage.
10th March 2015
Report Written By
Salmond, Jeremy, 1986
Old New Zealand Houses 1800-1940, Reed Methuen, Auckland, 1986
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand