Dr Hogg’s Residence and Surgery (Former)
36 Don Street, Invercargill
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
24th November 1983
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Lot 2 DP 10086 (CT 411004), Southland Land District, and the building known as Dr Hogg’s Residence and Surgery (Former), thereon.
Lot 2 DP 10086 (CT 411004), Southland Land District
This substantial building was constructed in the early twentieth century for medical practitioner Dr Robert Hogg as his residence and surgery. It has historical and architectural significance.
Title was issued to Invercargill medical practitioner Robert Henry Hogg in June 1905. Dr Robert Henry Hogg graduated from Otago University Medical School in 1891, and completed postgraduate qualifications in London before returning to New Zealand and practising in Invercargill – by the mid-1890s. He served in World War One as the head of Surgical Division No. 1 at the New Zealand General Hospital, Pont-de-Koubbeh, Egypt and after that as officer commanding the New Zealand Officers’ Hospital at Forest Park, Brockenhurst, England. He was awarded a military OBE in 1919. He was a foundation Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, practised again in Invercargill after the war. He moved to Paraparaumu in the mid-1930s.
A subdivision plan prepared for Hogg in 1905 does not show a building on Section 15. Hogg’s address in 1903 was Don Street, but further up the road. By 1910, he had shifted, and was probably living in the current house. It appears that the house was built between 1906 and 1910. The 1914 electoral roll gives the couple’s address as 32 Don Street. A further clue is provided by a photograph of the adjacent Invercargill Club – with scaffolding evident on the site that would be 32 Don Street. By comparing plantings in the garden of the Invercargill Club, it would seem to confirm the information in the street directories. In 1911, Hogg dissolved his practice with Dr Alexander Crawford. Dr A. McCaw took over Hogg’s practice and house when Hogg served overseas in World War One. Hogg resumed his practice in 1919.
In 1940, the property was transferred to his wife Agatha. In 1945 the property was sold by the mortgagor to David Teviotdale, Jessie Wayte and William Cunningham as tenants in common. It was converted to flats at this time. In 1976, the interests of these owners (or their heirs), was transferred to Beck Motors, and in 1979, to Rakauhauka Holdings, mainly as office space and practice rooms.
This brick building is made up of two structures with Tudor elements, probably designed by two different architects. The two buildings have no internal connection. The first stage was the homestead which is set back from the street with an entry on the west side. The second stage is a more commercial development built to the street front. The front building has separate entrances to both has no access between floors. In 2018, it remains a commercial building.
1906 - 1911
Converted to flats
21st May 2018
Report Written By
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand.