Southland Hospital Nurses' Home (Former)

110 Leven Street, Invercargill

  • Southland Hospital Nurses’ Home (Former), Invercargill.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: C Horwell. Date: 26/09/2013.
  • Southland Hospital Nurses’ Home (Former), Invercargill.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: C Horwell. Date: 26/09/2014.
  • Southland Hospital Nurses’ Home (Former), Invercargill.
    Copyright: Heritage New Zealand. Taken By: C Horwell. Date: 26/09/2013.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 2 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 2510 Date Entered 24th November 1983

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

The extent includes part of the land described as Lot 3 DP 11873 (CT SL8B/944), Southland Land District, and the building known Southland Hospital Nurses' Home (Former) thereon. Please refer to the extent map tabled at the Rārangi Kōrero Committee meeting on 8 March 2018.

City/District Council

Invercargill City

Region

Southland Region

Legal description

Lot 3 DP 11873 (CT SL8B/944), Southland Land District

Summaryopen/close

The Southland Hospital Nurses' Home (Former) was designed by Invercargill architect Charles Brodrick and opened in 1907. The substantial Arts and Crafts style building has aesthetic, architectural, historic and social significance.

The former nurses' home is associated with the hospital on the adjoining block which was established on Dee Street in 1862 (List No. 7777, Category 1). Originally accommodation for nurses was within the hospital, but overcrowding meant a separate facility was required. In 1905, it was first proposed that the Fallen Troopers’ Memorial (commemorating those who died in the South African War, 1899-1902) take the form of a nurses’ home. The Southland Hospital Trust approached the Hospital and Charitable Aid Board with this suggestion in early 1906. Chair of the Trust, A.F. Hawke told the board that at present three rooms at the hospital were occupied by nine nurses and maids, and in other rooms two were accommodated. If the nurses were provided with separate accommodation, this would provide more room for much-needed ward space. Funding was available through a government subsidy, and through a donation from the Temperance Hall Trustees. Hawke argued that the building should be a ‘substantial and permanent one.’ The chair of the board suggested that the trust present the board with definite proposals, and requested that they submit plans for a nurses’ home.

The Southland Hospital Trust, with help from the New Zealand Institute of Architects, organised a competition for plans, distributed to local architects. In September 1906, Hawke returned to the Board with plans for the proposed nurses’ home, to be situated at the ‘blind end’ of Gala Street. The plans showed ‘a handsome two storey building, containing nineteen bedrooms, a large sitting room and a large dining room with all conveniences.’ The estimated cost was £3,000. Hawke argued that ‘women employed at the arduous calling of nursing should be housed in reasonable comfort, and that their Home should be apart from the institution itself.’ Two competitive plans were received and that of Charles Brodrick selected.

Brodrick invited tenders for ‘the ERECTION of two-storey brick NURSES’ HOME’ on 25 October 1906. Contractors J. Walker and Sons won the contract. The cottage on the Gala Street site was sold and removed. By June 1907, the nurses’ home was approaching completion. An opening afternoon tea was held attended by 500 visitors. Many of the visitors contributed items towards furnishing the home. The Southern Cross reporter described the building as a ‘brilliant success’, and the home as ‘completed and furnished in a modern style – not elaborately, but in a useful labour-saving way.’ The matron and nurses conducted visitors around the ‘airy’ rooms. The £2,912 was well spent and provided ‘accommodation for the staff that will do duty for many years to come.’

In 1915-1916, the Nurses’ Home was enlarged. A new wing was built at right angles to the 1907 building. Architect Edmund Wilson was responsible for the design. In 1918, the decision was made to build a new hospital at Kew, where a fever ward had been built in 1907. In 1977, alterations and additions were carried out to convert the building into the Salvation Army Social Services Centre. The building provided emergency accommodation, a hostel for people with alcoholism, as well as providing a manager’s residence and a flat for the assistant manager. In 2018, the former Nurses’ Home remains home to the Salvation Army’s community ministries.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

Brodrick, Cuthbert John

Cuthbert John Brodrick (1867-1946) was born in Invercargill, the fifth son of Thomas Brodrick. He was named for his uncle, the well-known Victorian architect Cuthbert Brodrick (1822-1905). Brodrick was educated at Southland Boys High School. In 1884 Brodrick was articled to F.W. Burwell and trained in the classical tradition, travelling to Melbourne with Burwell to complete his training. Brodrick returned to New Zealand in 1891 after architectural draughting in Queensland for the Government. In 1906 he married Jemima ('Nonnie') Thomson, stepdaughter of surveyor John Turnbull Thomson.

After practising in Hawera for six years he returned to Invercargill. Brodrick entered into a partnership with his pupil Thomas Royds during World War One. Royds died in 1936. Brodrick retired from practice about 1943. During his career, he served as President of the Institute of Architects in 1911, as Vice-President in 1917, and as a member of the council in 1935.

The first building he designed in Invercargill was the Alexandra building. Others (with partner Thomas Royds) included the Italian Renaissance Bank of New South Wales (1912), the Kaiapoi building, the Grand Hotel (1914), the Edwardian Baroque Southland Daily News (1913), the stripped Classical Invercargill Savings Bank (1926), the classical temple Masonic Lodge of St John (1926), the Georgian Waimahaka Homestead, and grandstands for the Southland Racing Club.

Brodrick was also a member of the Borough Council for three terms and became Deputy Mayor.

E.R. Wilson

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

McArthur and Boag

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

Harry Steenson

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

Additional informationopen/close

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1906 - 1907

Addition
1915 - 1916

Modification
1915 - 1916

Modification
1977 -
Converted for use as hostel complex

Completion Date

31st January 2018

Report Written By

Heather Bauchop

Information Sources

Southern Cross

Southern Cross

Southern Cross, 23 Nov 1907, p. 9.

Salvation Army Website

http://www.salvationarmy.org.nz

http://www.salvationarmy.org.nz/centres/nz/otago-southland/invercargill

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.

A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand