Kirk and Royds' Building (Former)
61A-E Tay Street And 4 Nith Street, Invercargill
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
24th November 1983
Extent of List Entry
Extent includes the land described as Lots 1, 3 DP 4837 (SLA3/741) and part of the land described as Legal Road, Southland Land District, and the building known as Kirk and Royds' Building (Former) thereon. Refer to the extent map tabled at the Rārangi Kōrero Committee meeting on 8 March 2018.
Lots 1, 3 DP 4837 (SLA3/741) and Legal Road, Southland Land District
This handsome Edwardian commercial building on a prominent corner site was designed by Invercargill architect Charles Brodrick in 1908 for merchants Kirk and Royds. It has architectural, aesthetic and historic significance.
The firm Royd Bros & Kirk, Ltd, was an amalgamation of Messrs Kirk and Royds, Invercargill, and John. I. Royds and Co. merchants, of Christchurch, which merged in 1904. John Royds was a managing partner in the firm, which had branches in Invercargill and Christchurch. In 1908 they leased two sections at the corner of Tay and Nith Streets. Invercargill architect Charles Brodrick invited for tenders for ‘the ERECTION of Extensive Two Storey BRICK PREMISES, OFFICES, AND STORES, corner of Tay & Nith Streets, for Messrs Royds Bros, and Kirk, Ltd.’ In April 1908, the Royal Hotel was demolished to make way for Kirk and Royd’s new store.
The Southern Cross described the new building as having a frontage of 104 feet to Tay Street, and 186 feet to Nith Street. There were two ‘large shops’ on the ground floor as well as offices to be occupied by Dalgety and Company, as well as offices and stores occupied by Royd Bros. and Kirk. The first floor was let, with its two large rooms which were suitable for warehousing or which could be partitioned into offices. The building was completed by December 1908.
Land titles indicate that the Kirk and Royds leased the land until the 1950s, after which they transferred the lease to Rae Alan Limited. In later years, the building was owned by Guthrie Bowron Limited, and by Craig Printing Company Limited. In 2018, it houses offices and shops.
No biography is currently available for this construction professional
Joseph Howie was a well-known Invercargill contractor working from the mid-1880s. Major projects included E.R. Wilson’s Invercargill Town Hall and Theatre (1906) He died in 1912
30th January 2018
Report Written By
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.
A fully referenced upgrade report is available on request from the Otago/Southland Area Office of Heritage New Zealand