Courtville (Corner Courtville)

11 Parliament Street And Waterloo Quadrant, Auckland

  • Courtville.
    Copyright: NZ Historic Places Trust. Taken By: Martin Jones.

List Entry Information

List Entry Status Listed List Entry Type Historic Place Category 1 Public Access Private/No Public Access
List Number 2624 Date Entered 19th March 1987

Locationopen/close

Extent of List Entry

Extent includes the land described as Secs 1-2 SO 62300, and DP 161299 (CT NA97A/48), North Auckland Land District, and the building known as Courtville (Corner Courtville) thereon, and its fittings and fixtures.

City/District Council

Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)

Region

Auckland Council

Legal description

Secs 1-2 SO 62300, and DP 161299 (CT NA97A/48), North Auckland Land District

Assessment criteriaopen/close

Historical Significance or Value

A very early high-rise block of flats. It originally had 15 self-contained flats. It was built for private developers Mr Ernest Potter and William Stanton by James Fletcher (later Sir James) and was [one of his early ventures] in Auckland.

The building has provided comfortable inner city rental accommodation for hundreds of Aucklanders over the years, accumulating considerable social historical significance in the process.

ARCHITECTURAL SIGNIFICANCE

A very early and, architecturally, very fine example of inner city rental accommodation. A very sophisticated architectural statement with restrained use of ornate and very unusual and innovative plan. The wide eaves and geometrically designed corbels show the influence of the architecture of Louis Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright of the Chicago School while the corner treatment and dome is similar t the Dilworth Building in Queens Street and can be linked back to the architecture of Edwin Lutyens.

TOWNSCAPE/LANDMARK SIGNIFICANCE

A key building in the townscape with its splayed corner, entrance and dome giving the intersection of Waterloo Quadrant and Parliament Street considerable emphasis. It is visually the most striking of the Courtville buildings and is of similar style to all of these. It occupies a central position in relation to the other important buildings in this historic area of Auckland.

Linksopen/close

Construction Professionalsopen/close

O'Connor, Arthur Sinclair

Arthur Sinclair O'Connor (c.1884-1943) was born in Fremantle, Australia, and came to New Zealand about 1908. It is not known where he received his architectural training. The first record of his work in New Zealand was a joint competition entry with Alva Bartley in 1911 for the new parliament building in Wellington. From 1935 until his sudden death in 1943 at the age of 59, O'Connor conducted his practice from Civic House.

O'Connor designed many inner city apartments including Radnor, Waterloo Quadrant (1914); Middle Courtville, Parliament Street (1914); Corner Courtville, Waterloo Quadrant and Parliament Street (1919); "Espano", overlooking Myers Park (1931); Westminster Court (originally large Courtville), Parliament Street (1934) and Brooklyn Apartments, Eden Crescent (1936). Examples of his commercial works are the Keans Building (1927), Civic House (1929) and the Fergusson Building (1929), all on Queen Street, the Stormont Building, Kingsland (1929), and the Regent (now the Lido) Theatre, Epsom (1923). He was also the architect for the Orange Coronation Hall, Newton Road (1922) and the Church of England, Otahuhu (1931).

Fletcher, James

No biography is currently available for this construction professional

Additional informationopen/close

Physical Description

ARCHITECTURAL DESCRIPTION (Style)

5 Storey building on corner site with shallow bay windows and deep eaves. The building is wedge-shape in plan with a prominent entrance way on the splayed corner of the building and a dome over the corner.

MODIFICATIONS

Largely in original condition.

Notable Features

Elegant corner dome, splayed corner and inside the original decoration and fittings including stained glass, Kauri skirtings, dado/picture rails, doors, fireplaces and kitchen fittings. The original lift, the first installed in a residential block in Auckland, is still intact.

Construction Dates

Original Construction
1919 -

Construction Details

Reinforced concrete and brick walls. Reinforced concrete slabs floors lined with Kauri.

Information Sources

Stout, 1983

Julie M Stout. B. Arch thesis, School of Architecture, University of Auckland, 1983.

Other Information

Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.