1 St Georges Bay Road, Parnell, Auckland
List Entry Information
List Entry Status
List Entry Type
Historic Place Category 2
Private/No Public Access
26th November 1981
Auckland Council (Auckland City Council)
Lot 3 DP 93399
Bamford & Pierce
F Noel Bamford and A P Hector Pierce were born in New Zealand. Pierce was the pupil of architect A.P. Wilson and Bamford studied under Edward Bartley during the building of St Matthew's Church, which was commenced in 1902. Bamford worked for the renowned English architect Edwin Lutyens in England before 1907.
Bamford and Pierce were in partnership in 1906 and again from 1909 to 1917. Pierce was considered to be the steady worker of the partnership; Bamford the more flamboyant and creative. Bamford and Pierce designed buildings for the Auckland Exhibition of which the Tea Kiosk in the Domain (1914) is the sole survivor. They were also responsible for the house at 1 St Georges Bay Rd (1910) and Neligan House, Parnell (1910).
After the death of Pierce in 1916 little is known of Bamford. He designed the house at 28 Gilgit Road for his brother Dean in 1917 and worked for Gummer and Ford for several months in 1920. At some time he was employed by the Hamilton Construction Company as Clerk of Works. Bamford was Vice-President of the Auckland Architectural Students' Association in 1918 and was the Association's first "visiting architect".
Please note that entry on the New Zealand Heritage List/Rarangi Korero identifies only the heritage values of the property concerned, and should not be construed as advice on the state of the property, or as a comment of its soundness or safety, including in regard to earthquake risk, safety in the event of fire, or insanitary conditions.